Active Desktop Recovery

Question

• Network Info:
    Windows Server 2003 with all updates,
    GPO applied to all users which successfully changes the background so they cannot change it.
    Users desktop has been moved to their own drive (so when they save anything on the desktop it moves to "their" drive on the server).
    Small number of users with this problem but seems to be increasing.
    All users have IE7.

The problem:

We have a few users who occassionally receive the Active Desktop Recovery error. The problem i have is due to our network security they dont have the rights to click on the button to restore it, therefore someone has to either make registry changes or give them a new local profile that resolves the problem.

Is there a way to resolve this without having to do the above i.e. some policy that i can set that will resolve upon next boot up/log on? Or do something that will stop this from happening? Im open to any ideas you can give.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the policy Prevent access to registry editing tools is enabled, you can use WMI to set the registry value. Here is a sample script for your reference:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001

strComputer = "."

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _

strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

strValueName = "CleanShutdown"

dwValue = 1

oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please copy the script above, paste to a notepad file, and change the file extension to .vbs. You can deploy the script by performing the following steps:

1.    Open GPMC console, right-click a GPO that will apply to the clients, select Edit.

2.    Navigate to user Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Scripts.

3.    In the right pane, double-click Logon.

4.    In the Logon Properties window, click Show Files button.

5.    Copy the .vbs file to this folder, and then close the window and back to the Logon Properties window.

6.    Click Add, click Browse, select the .vbs file, click Open, click OK.

7.    Click OK to apply the change.

Thanks.

Joson Zhou

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by EssCee Monday, August 10, 2009 8:12 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I would like to confirm if this is a Terminal Server and multiple users are using the same user account to logon the server.

Meanwhile, I suggest that we write a logon script (Group Policy\User Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts) to set the registry value CleanShutdown to 1 and check whether the issue is resolved.

The registry value CleanShutdown is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Thanks. I look forward to your response.

• Proposed as answer by Meik259 Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:00 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Hello,

No this is not a terminal server. Its Windows XP clients with the problem, joined to a domain. Could i not use a GPO to do the above registry edit? Computer Configuration > Policies>Windows Settings > Security Settings > Registry?

If i do create a script and have this in my reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "CleanShutdown"=dword:00000001
    I think they will get Access Denied error as registry editing has been disabled. Or have i misunderstood you?

Thanks for your help
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

If the policy Prevent access to registry editing tools is enabled, you can use WMI to set the registry value. Here is a sample script for your reference:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001

strComputer = "."

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _

strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

strValueName = "CleanShutdown"

dwValue = 1

oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please copy the script above, paste to a notepad file, and change the file extension to .vbs. You can deploy the script by performing the following steps:

1.    Open GPMC console, right-click a GPO that will apply to the clients, select Edit.

2.    Navigate to user Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Scripts.

3.    In the right pane, double-click Logon.

4.    In the Logon Properties window, click Show Files button.

5.    Copy the .vbs file to this folder, and then close the window and back to the Logon Properties window.

6.    Click Add, click Browse, select the .vbs file, click Open, click OK.

7.    Click OK to apply the change.

Thanks.

Joson Zhou

• Marked as answer by EssCee Monday, August 10, 2009 8:12 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Just want to check if the suggestion has helped. Please feel free to respond back if you need further assistance.

Joson Zhou

Monday, August 10, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Hello

Ive ran this on our network but so far ive not had any issues, then again i think its too early to say as it was done last Thursday. We can close this thread if you wish and if i do get any issues i can get back?

Thanks for your help.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

If the issue occurs again or if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Joson Zhou

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:39 AM