I'm having problems with a DFS Namespace that does not connect to a correct DFS Target. The following setup I have:
- Two Sites Bruxelles and Houston (correct IP Ranges have been assigned)
- Houston Site is connected with Checkpoint VPN Gateway to Bruxelles Site
- Bruxelles have a domain controller and Houston does not have a domain controller locally
- DFS Namespace \\domain.com \ deployment
- One DFS Target in Houston (\\server02 \ deployment) and have Primary DNS setting to the DNS server in Bruxelles
- One DFS Target in Bruxelles (\\server01 \ deployment)
When an Houston User try to access the DFS Namespace it always connect to the DFS target in Bruxelles. Anyone knowns what this problem could be? Even when I configure the DFS Target folder to “Exclude targets outside of the client's site.” . If I check the properties of a folder in DFS Namespace and go to the tab DFS I only see the Bruxelles target folder and not the Houston target folder.
Is this because there is no domain controller in Houston and no DNS server available?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I believe, Yes, reason being, there are no DNS/DC available at your Houston site. Your client is already authenticating with DC from Bruxelles,hence it would re-direct there itself.
If you are replicating the data via replication schedules or any 3rd party replication s/w, you can keep them in synch rite, if it is a small site, you can ask users to target the respective servers directly.. Just a suggestion..
Regards, Server Engineer - Server Support
Sorry for the late response.
According to the DFS Referral rules it should stay in the lower costs which is the Houston Site itself. But if the requirements are that there must be a DC and DNS at the Houston Site to make the target folder able to work then I probably geing to built a Read Only DC and a DNS server.
Using an unc path directly to the target folder in Houston works of course but we have created some scripts that directs to the DFS namespace. Probably removing the links will resolve the problem as well.
If someone else still have a suggestion please tell