none
Hyper-V server 2016 remote management in workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, I have a pretty specific scenario here that I was wondering if you could give me a hand with.

I am working in an educational institute helping some instructors prepare for next September. The instructors get a personal datacenter to build up server infrastructure for use by students in lab classes. These students do not have access to this datacenter so any use of it must be done remotely through the campus network.

One of the objectives I am working on right now is configuring a dozen blades to be PXE booted into either an ESX or Hyper-V 2016 Server installer. This would allow the students to enter the lab class, pxe boot into either ESX or Hyper-V depending on what is required to complete that lab.

While the ESX instances are easy to manage the Hyper-V ones not so much. To manage them remotely students would have to use Hyper-V manager installed on lab PCs in separate classrooms OR their own devices with it installed. When connecting however I run into an issue (see below). It seems to point towards a DNS issue but it shouldn't be trying to resolve an IP. I can confirm the server is indeed reachable by IP with a ping so that can't be the issue.

Because this is my first post on TN I can't post any images or links so here is the exact text of the error I encounter:

Hyper-V Manager:

An error occurred while attempting to connect to server "x.x.x.x". Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.

The computer 'x.x.x.x' could not be resolved. Make sure you typed the machine name correctly and that you have network access.

Following some googling answers seem to point towards manually editing the hosts file with a name mapped to an IP, and/or configuring winrm trusted hosts on each of the fresh Hyper-V hosts every time that Hyper-V is reinstalled on that blade.

There are a number of issues with these solutions however. Firstly students DO NOT have admin rights on the lab PCs so they cannot change their hosts files. Secondly I would love to just configure reserved DHCP addresses and custom DNS entries for each of the blade servers but I don't actually have any control over the campus network systems. Third I have no guarantee about which computers on campus any particular student will be managing the Hyper-V server from so unless I added all 1000+ computers on campus to winrm trusted hosts that is not an option. Fourth all Hyper-V instances are in the default Workgroup and NOT domain connected because I don't have any control over the campus AD either.

As you can probably tell I am very unsure of what to do from here. Any help with managing these HV instances remotely would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Dorien M,

Please check if my understanding is correct, there are several blade servers in datacenter, which is configured to be ESX or Hyper-V server, students connect to campus network want to connect to hyper-v server to do lab test. While after installing Hyper-V Manager in PCs in classroom, when connect to the Hyper-V host, it appear the error "An error occurred while attempting to connect to server "x.x.x.x"..." Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

If my understanding is correct and if the issue is DNS resolution related, then, we need to enable the PCs used by clients could resolve the name of the Hyper-V Server. We may use ipconfig/all to check which is DNS used by PCs, and register the Hyper-V server the DNS server in the campus network.

If you don't have access to add the DNS entry for the hyper-v server into the Campus DNS server and you know the IP address of the Hyper-V Server, then, you may make the students to use the IP address to connect to the Hyper-V server directly.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Your understanding is correct. We will be asking the students to connect to the HV server using its IP address and that is what I am trying to do while testing. It does not appear however that HV Manager likes using an IP address to connect. I just confirmed my issue with wireshark, it appears that HV manager is attempting to resolve an ip address to an ip address as though it was a domain name. 
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:35 PM
  • Hi Dorien M,

>it appears that HV manager is attempting to resolve an ip address to an ip address as though it was a domain name

This seems strange, and welcome to feedback your progress with network traffic capture.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:55 AM