none
Requested session access is denied

Question

• Server 2008 STD configured as DC with TS (25 users)

Even if I have Allowed Log On through Terminal services, all my users are receiving "The requested session access is denied". All users are members of the Remote Desktop Group. I can log on no problem with "Administrator status". What am I missing ? Thanks
    Richard
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• My problem is resolved. I was testing my Terminal Session from a Server 2003 and he was the guilty one. Even with no authentication on the server 2008 and RDC 6.0.6000 on the 2003, my access to the session was always denied. Just to eliminate all the causes, I tried the same scenario with a Vista machine. The Session opened immediately. I do not have much more time to try to figure out why. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Richard
    • Marked as answer by Galeo Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:00 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:08 AM

All replies

• Obligatory:  It is a very bad idea to use a DC as a terminal server.  Users do dumb things, dumb things done to a DC can be disasterous.

Grant them the log on locally right.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for the information but that did not resolve the issue. Based on your advice, I removed ADS - Terminal services are back to normal.
    Richard
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Are they still having the problem of logging in even after removing the DC role?  Do they still belong to the Remote desktop user group?
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:33 PM
  •  Hi Jeff, unfortunately that server seems to be out of commission for now. No one except administrators can access it. Even after removing the DC role and re-adding users with the proper privileges, access to the TS is still denied. It is not the first server 2008 I configure but it is the first time I hit that kind of snag.  I will start fresh and keep you up with the results.
    Richard
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:55 PM
  • I can tell you from my experience that adding someone to the Remote Desktop Group is often insufficient.  Instead, I create a group and add that group to the Terminal Server Security for access to the Terminal Server. This can be found in Terminal Server Configuration > RDP properties >Security Tab.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:05 PM
  • My problem is resolved. I was testing my Terminal Session from a Server 2003 and he was the guilty one. Even with no authentication on the server 2008 and RDC 6.0.6000 on the 2003, my access to the session was always denied. Just to eliminate all the causes, I tried the same scenario with a Vista machine. The Session opened immediately. I do not have much more time to try to figure out why. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Richard
    • Marked as answer by Galeo Sunday, March 29, 2009 4:00 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:08 AM
  • In my case, I had the same issue but found that I was logging in as a "standard" user on the Console! It seems that Console access is only limited to users with higher priviledges. Once I reconfigured my mRemoteNG app so that I would logon as a standard user NOT using the console, it works!

• Proposed as answer by JDMils1968 Sunday, October 24, 2010 10:00 PM
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

In my case, if I add Domain Users group to local Admins and Remote Desktop Users group, I'm able to access RDP and Citrix Web console session, but if I remove the Domain Users group from local Admins group and keep them in RD Users group, I get the same error and unable to login on Citrix web console. I added the Domain Users group to Allow log on locally policy and that worked. I'm able to login on both RDP and Citrix with limited rights assigned to users.

Thanks for the suggestion, that resolved my issue.

Gaurav Sharma

webkarma

Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:04 AM