none
Nano Server Packages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

There are some package that can be installed Inside a nano server.
    But what is the purpose of the Microsoft-OneCore-ReverseForwarders-Package cab file ?

Regards

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Olivier,

As part of building Nano Server, we moved some of the commonly used APIs from higher level Windows DLLs such as shell DLLs into new DLLs. This means if you run your existing app which depends on one of these higher level DLLs, it would fail to load on Nano Server.

Reverse Forwarders is a new technology that enables a subset of Desktop Win32 binaries to run on NanoServer without recompilation. Adding this optional package will let you load your app on Nano Server. If the app calls an API in high level Windows binary such as shell DLLs, the call will be automatically routed to the correct DLLs on Nano Server.

Note that Reverse Forwarders do not remove the need to refactor code to only use APIs available in Nano Server. Instead, Reverse Forwarders provide a way to build a single binary that can run on both Desktop and Nano Server, provided that its API usage is Nano Server-compliant. If the app depends on a DLL which is not present on Nano Server, it will fail to run. APIs which are not supported will fail with a Not Implemented error at runtime.

As _Emin_ (MVP) points out, Andrew’s Ignite talk gives a great introduction to Reverse Forwarders.

Pooja Nagpal

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:27 PM
  • Hi

This is explained by Andrew Mason in this video @57:00

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2461

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:23 AM

All replies

• hii,

I found the purpose of Microsoft-OneCore-ReverseForwarders-Package.cab file  in Nano server.

check this out : http://www.joseangelfernandez.es/blog/2015/05/preparando-una-imagen-de-windows-nano-server-para-pruebas/

Regards.

If you find my contribution useful then please do mark as an answer or vote as helpful.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Hi

So I need to learn Spanish ;-)

If I understand it include Win Server API used by application

Regards

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Hi

This is explained by Andrew Mason in this video @57:00

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK2461

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:23 AM
  • hii Olivier ,

simply translate it in English language when the browser ask you to translate it .

Regards.

If you find my contribution useful then please do mark as an answer or vote as helpful.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:14 AM
  • Hi Olivier,

As part of building Nano Server, we moved some of the commonly used APIs from higher level Windows DLLs such as shell DLLs into new DLLs. This means if you run your existing app which depends on one of these higher level DLLs, it would fail to load on Nano Server.

Reverse Forwarders is a new technology that enables a subset of Desktop Win32 binaries to run on NanoServer without recompilation. Adding this optional package will let you load your app on Nano Server. If the app calls an API in high level Windows binary such as shell DLLs, the call will be automatically routed to the correct DLLs on Nano Server.

Note that Reverse Forwarders do not remove the need to refactor code to only use APIs available in Nano Server. Instead, Reverse Forwarders provide a way to build a single binary that can run on both Desktop and Nano Server, provided that its API usage is Nano Server-compliant. If the app depends on a DLL which is not present on Nano Server, it will fail to run. APIs which are not supported will fail with a Not Implemented error at runtime.

As _Emin_ (MVP) points out, Andrew’s Ignite talk gives a great introduction to Reverse Forwarders.

Pooja Nagpal

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:27 PM
  • Thanks to all

Now I understand what I need to include to test NanoServer

I have some plane to use it with some Python and Nginx

And see how to deploy it

Regards

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 6:01 PM