none
RD Gateway Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I found this question (or similar) with many answers many times in this forum. I'm looking for an official answer so I would be happy if someone can refer me to an official Microsoft document.

If I deploy an RD Gateway, do I need to purchase separate CALs for the RD Gateway? For example, if a user connects from the internet through the RD Gateway to an internal machine (to RD Session Host), does this connection consume two licenses? One for the RD Gateway and one for the RD Session Host?

Alternatively, if the RD Gateway role is installed on the same machine as the RD Session Host, and we use the RD Gateway to connect the RD Session Host on the same machine (the idea is to only expose HTTPS traffic on port 443 and not direct RDP on port 3389), do I need two licenses for each connection?

I know that there is no enforcement, I'm looking for the legal answer.

Thanks,
    Gabriel

Monday, July 8, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• hi,
    1 "If I deploy an RD Gateway, do I need to purchase separate CALs for the RD Gateway?"
    yes,both an RDS CAL and Windows Server CAL are required.
    "Do I need an RDS CAL if I am not running a multiuser environment but use functionality in Remote Desktop Services—for example, Remote Desktop Gateway? Yes. An RDS CAL is required to use any functionality included in the Remote Desktop Services role in Windows Server. For example, if you are using RDS Gateway and/or Remote Desktop Web Access to provide access to a Windows client operating system on an individual PC, both an RDS CAL and Windows Server CAL are required. "
    Licensing Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services 
    https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/d/4/3d42bdc2-6725-4b29-b75a-a5b04179958b/windowsserverrds_vlbrief.pdf

2 "For example, if a user connects from the internet through the RD Gateway to an internal machine (to RD Session Host), does this connection consume two licenses?One for the RD Gateway and one for the RD Session Host?"
    No,There is a misundertanding about RDS cal.There are only two types of CALs:(1)RDS Per Device CALs (2)RDS Per User CALs
    RDS Device CAL: Permits one device (used by any user) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers.
    RDS User CAL: Permits one user (using any device) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers
    so how many needs users will use RD gateway function ?
    so how many needs devices(smartphone, windows pc, windows tablet etc) will use RD gateway function ?
    if the number of needs users more than needs device ,i think rds per user cal and windows server per user cal are best choice to purchase.

3"Alternatively, if the RD Gateway role is installed on the same machine as the RD Session Host, and we use the RD Gateway to connect the RD Session Host on the same machine (the idea is to only expose HTTPS traffic on port 443 and not direct RDP on port 3389), do I need two licenses for each connection?"
    I think you misunderstand RDS cal meaning ,the number of RDS CAL is depend on the number of needs devices or the number of needs users.
    you need to refer my point 2 and below Microsoft document.
    License your RDS deployment with client access licenses (CALs)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-license

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:40 AM
  • Thanks Andy for your reply!

"RDS Device CAL: Permits one device (used by any user) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers. 
    RDS User CAL: Permits one user (using any device) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers"

So if for example I have 20 users that need to connect, and I purchase 20 per-user RDS CALs, it doesn't matter whether I have 1 server or 1000 servers?

Thanks,
    Gabriel

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 12:35 PM
  • Correct.  The "Per-User" CAL is for a single user and will allow this user to connect to any RD Session Host Servers.

The UserCAL license will be stored in the AD User account as several attributes

msTSExpireDate
    msTSLicenseVersion
    msTSLicenseVersion2
    msTSLicenseVersion3
    msTSManagingLS

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 12:46 PM
  • hi,
    So if for example I have 20 users that need to connect, and I purchase 20 per-user RDS CALs, it doesn't matter whether I have 1 server or 1000 servers?
    if all session host servers are the same os version, the answer is yes.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:23 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, July 12, 2019 1:46 AM
  • hi,

Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:54 AM
  • HI
    Have you solved your problem?
    If you have solved a problem using our solution, please "mark it as an answer" to help other community members quickly find useful responses.
    If not, please reply and let us know the current situation so that we can help further.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:33 AM