MS-DOS 6.22 under Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• My question is really 2-part. I have a temporary need for an MS-DOS VM on my Server 2008 (R1) x64 test machine, so I downloaded MS-DOS 6.22 from the TechNet subscription area and created 3 VFD files for each of the install floppies. I then created a new VM and proceeded to install DOS 6.22, only the message I got was...

"Setup cannot install MS-DOS 6.22 because there is no operating system on this computer. This product is the MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade..."

Question 1) Why in the world would the TechNet version of MS-DOS be an UPGRADE version??? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Is a "non-upgrade" DOS 6.22 installer available?

Question 2) I read that Hyper-V doesn't support MS-DOS. Is this just because there are no integration services for it? I really don't need them for this test.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Question 1) Why in the world would the TechNet version of MS-DOS be an UPGRADE version??? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Is a "non-upgrade" DOS 6.22 installer available?

>> First of all, MS-DOS is out of life. For the further research on MS-DOS upgrade version, I recommend that you Contact a representative so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

Contact a Representative to Order by Phone

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb856399.aspx

Question 2) I read that Hyper-V doesn't support MS-DOS. Is this just because there are no integration services for it? I really don't need them for this test.

>> As I mentioned, MS-DOS is too old, it doesn’t make sense to support it on Hyper-V.

Virtualization with Hyper-V: Supported Guest Operating Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-supported-guest-os.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:30 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:55 AM
  • To add detail to Vincent's answer -

The term "supported" means that the operating system was installed and tested - not that it cannot work.

Considering how many operating systems and versions of operating systems there are - the number of "supported" systems is always smaller than the whole.  As it takes developer and tester time and resources away from items that are of a much higher impact and customer need / want.
    Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> First of all, MS-DOS is out of life. For the further research on MS-DOS upgrade version, I recommend that you Contact a representative so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

Contact a Representative to Order by Phone

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb856399.aspx

>> As I mentioned, MS-DOS is too old, it doesn’t make sense to support it on Hyper-V.

Virtualization with Hyper-V: Supported Guest Operating Systems

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-supported-guest-os.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, November 23, 2009 6:55 AM
  • To add detail to Vincent's answer -

The term "supported" means that the operating system was installed and tested - not that it cannot work.

Considering how many operating systems and versions of operating systems there are - the number of "supported" systems is always smaller than the whole.  As it takes developer and tester time and resources away from items that are of a much higher impact and customer need / want.
    Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I realize this is a Hyper-V forum and not MSDN, so my first question might not apply here. TechNet obviously offers MS DOS 6.22 for subscribers to use, even though they have long since stopped supporting it. There's an entire list of OS's there that fall into this category. Unfortunately, MS-DOS is still required for some applications that just won't die and testing IS a required part of supporting those apps. To be clear, I'm NOT seeking OS support. My observation was simply that Microsoft ONLY offers MS DOS 6.22 in an UPGRADE version, which needlessly complicates getting it going on a test machine (virtual or not). I am completely devoid of a reason they put an UPGRADE version in their TechNet download area, and not a standard version. But like I said, this is probably the wrong forum to raise that complaint.

I appreciate your comments,  BrianEh. I understand that "supported" and actually working (or even working with limited functionality) are different things. I'm currently running several flavors of *nix under Hyper-V that are not officially supported; some with greater success than others. I guess I will have to find out for myself how well it works (or not), once I dig up some DOS boot disks.  (grumble grumble)

Thanks again gentlemen.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your understanding. I understand that sometimes we have some special application need the old operating system.

You may try to use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or Microsoft Virtual Server 2005, as they don’t support MS-DOS also, however, you may get it working.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:05 AM
  • I think the point is being missed here. It's not related to the virtual host. Why is this so difficult to understand? Also, why would Virtual Server work? Vincent, to suggest this shows the problem isn't really understood.

Technet supplies MSDOS 6.22 disks as .IMG files that can be loaded as virtual floppies.

These disks are upgrade disks, needed to upgrade a previously installed version of MSDOS.

The other version of MSDOS on Technet is v6.0, which is not available in downloadable .IMG floppy images. it's just a flat file structure that looks like it's been copied from the disk of a PC thats had 6.0 installed.

If v6.0 was in the same format as the 6.22 upgrade, then we could download v6.0 as floppy images, load into a VM (be it Hyper-V, Virtual PC, VMWare). Could then download v6.22 and upgrade

The solution is simple. Technet need to upload .IMG floppy images of v6.0 (fresh install version)

comments?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Somewhat late but it may help others.

To get around the issues of only having the upgrade disks from technet do the following:

Boot from the first disk and keep pressing F8, select no to everything and get a DOS prompt.

FDISK and create a partition

Reboot (Same process as above)

Format C: /S

Then copy the contents of the first disk to C:\DOS

Now reboot again and this is enough for the upgrade to think it's upgrading, then the install works OK.

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Somewhat late but it may help others.

To get around the issues of only having the upgrade disks from technet do the following:

Boot from the first disk and keep pressing F8, select no to everything and get a DOS prompt.

FDISK and create a partition

Reboot (Same process as above)

Format C: /S

Then copy the contents of the first disk to C:\DOS

Now reboot again and this is enough for the upgrade to think it's upgrading, then the install works OK.

Hey Richard & Mikerowaved,

I am really late on this but I found this post helpful with my DOS 6.22 install from technet.

I was having the same issue that mikerowaved was having.  Why would that put the DOS 6.22 upgrade out there without the original DOS 6.22?!?!?

Then I read your post Richard which got me through to complete the install.

Here is what I did if anyone else comes across this in the future: 

Create DOS 6.22 install disks
    Downloaded DOS 6.22
    Connect floppy drive to VM
    In xp vm create DOS 6.22 disks, make14.bat a:  

Install DOS
    Put first disk in and boot up
    Get to DOS install press F3 to exit DOS install
    At cmd prompt run FDISK
    Reboot
    Format hd, format c: /s
    Get to c:/ prompt create folder named DOS,  mdir DOS
    Get to a:/ prompt copy first disk to DOS folder. copy a:/ c:/DOS
    Reboot with first disk in drive and continue with DOS install.
    Installer will think DOS is already on the PC and select to continue with install

Now to get 3.1 up and running!

Thanks for the info...

Monday, October 8, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Yes - another VERY late reply. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on this, but we used to fdisk to create the partition and then just make a directory on C (C:\DOS). Once the upgrade "saw" the directory, it proceeded normally. Did this change somewhere over the years? I haven't used MS-DOS 6.22 many years, but I think this is how I remember getting around the "upgrade disk problem".

CodingChris

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Yes - another VERY late reply. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy on this, but we used to fdisk to create the partition and then just make a directory on C (C:\DOS). Once the upgrade "saw" the directory, it proceeded normally. Did this change somewhere over the years? I haven't used MS-DOS 6.22 many years, but I think this is how I remember getting around the "upgrade disk problem".

CodingChris

You need to create empty c:\msdos.sys and c:\io.sys with the SHR attributes set as well, I believe.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Oh yeah - thanks Matt336 - I forgot about those! It was all kind of a "smoke and mirrors" way to go about things, but it worked at the time.

CodingChris

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:12 PM
  • I don't normally get into these discussions, however I have been programming for 32 years and remember DOS 6.22.  You are correct there are lots of reasons someone might need an old OS to do testing and run programs and batch files, not to mention data files in DOS.  6.22 only came in upgrade form, it was a secondary release to patch problems with encrypting/compressing HDDs, if memory serves.  I thin for a final release they had an install pack of 6 floppy's for 6.22, but it was long ago.  Back then storage space was a major issue, not like today.  I'll stay to the point, I has recently loaded DOS 5, 6, and 6.21, then 6.22 on Parallels to train someone.  I don't like to post links to other sites, but I will even if u never see this, someone else might need it. 

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

Also, several colleagues and I have noticed that running VM's in Win XP and Win 7 don't support all OS properly, (i.e. certain security features of Access don't function correctly when you load a VM of Win XP on Win 7), the .net 3.5 and .net 4.5 are made to be a barrier and force entire upgrades and make users/companies choose.

Microsoft has always been a bully and it will get worse.  I hope that this will help you, download 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 and install them in order.  Windows 3.11 for Workgroups made history, and even the newest Win 10 is DOS based and command lines can still be used to bypass security, until you place a Windows OS on a Domain the security won't do you much good on a LAN. 

Sunday, February 19, 2017 7:06 AM
  • FDisk !!!  man that brings back memories.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Thumbs UP!! 
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Excuse me, but I'm right now looking at official Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Plus Enchanced Tools install disks that is not upgrade versions so you're wrong. Microsoft product codes for these DDS4479EN, DDS4480EN, DDS4481EN from 1994.
    Monday, December 16, 2019 12:29 PM