none
RDS per user CALs - Backwards compatible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I was under the impression that CALs were backwards compatible. We are in the process of upgrading all Windows Server 2008R2 machines to Windows server 2016. Our citrix target devices are 2008R2 with about 1200 users connecting to Citrix and therefore each consuming a per user CAL. Our CALs were split half and half up to now, one half 2008R2 and the other half 2012 R2 per user CALs. On the remote desktop licensing manager i noticed that the 2008R2 sessions were not able to use the 2012 R2 CALs, instead a 2008R2 CAL was assigned and therefore showed as under licensed by twice the amount (the 2012R2 licenses remained unallocated)

Today I began the upgrade and installed 2016 CALs onto a new Windows Server 2016 machine. RDP sessions to 2016 machines consume these CALs fine but the 2008R2/2012R2 connections don't seem to pick it up, instead it installs a new license onto the licensing manager but no licenses are installed and total licenses are set at 0 with a few allocated.

Has anyone came across this before?

Friday, November 8, 2019 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.During the migration, how many RDS licensing server are there?

2.>>Today I began the upgrade and installed 2016 CALs onto a new Windows Server 2016 machine. RDP sessions to 2016 machines consume these CALs fine but the 2008R2/2012R2 connections don't seem to pick it up, instead it installs a new license onto the licensing manager but no licenses are installed and total licenses are set at 0 with a few allocated.

For 2008R2/2012 R2 connection, have you set the licensing server to the server 2016 for those Session host servers? Probably session host server haven't updated the licensing server settings.

3. Do you need to install additional Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS CALs too, or is this a compatibility behavior?

Server 2012 RDS requires a Server 2012 RD Licensing server.  A 2012 RD Licensing server will serve 2012/2008 R2/2008/2003 servers, so you may consolidate your RDS CALs onto a Server 2012 RD Licensing server if you would like to.

RDS CALs are not forward compatible, only backward compatible. Meaning that Windows Server 2012 CALs will work with Server 2008 R2.

Quoted from below article:

2012 R2 License Server issuing Built-in OverUsed CALs for 2008 R2 Session Host Servers

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Ask-The-Performance-Team/2012-R2-License-Server-issuing-Built-in-OverUsed-CALs-for-2008/ba-p/375635

Best Regards,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Have you got a chance to verify above suggestions?

Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Is there any update? 

And you can mark helpful reply as Answer, which would be very efficient for other forum community members to find useful information.

Thanks,

Jenny

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:41 AM