none
loading x86 drivers in a 2008 R2 print server

Question

• How do you load and make available x86 print drivers on a 2008 R2 server in a print server role?
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:38 PM

Answers

• I found a solution. I installed the printer in question on a Win7 32 bit workstation. Then exported the drivers to a file and then imported them into the Win2008 print server. The drivers automatically associated with the correct printer.

It seems that x86 drivers for the 2008 print server must be build on x86 platforms.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:40 PM

All replies

• BTW the 2008 is 64bit.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:39 PM
  • This is one of the methods I use in 2008r2:

Add the printer first with the 64 bit driver in the usual way.

Then open the printer properties, click "change sharing options" on the sharing tab.  This allows you to click the "additional drivers" box.  Do so.

Click the x86 box, ok, then follow the prompts to point it to your x86 driver.

Alternatively, use Print Management console, right click on drivers, choose add driver. Click x86, and away you go.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:04 PM
  • We have the drivers in the driver section of print management. The problem is that when we attempt to add x86 drivers to a specific type of printer, we get an error that the driver is not correct for the architecture.

One of the problems is I just don't understand how the 2008 server in a print server role handles x86 drivers.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:37 PM
  • I found a solution. I installed the printer in question on a Win7 32 bit workstation. Then exported the drivers to a file and then imported them into the Win2008 print server. The drivers automatically associated with the correct printer.

It seems that x86 drivers for the 2008 print server must be build on x86 platforms.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Can you post how you exported the drivers?

--------

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 12/2/2010 12:40 PM, Myrt Webb wrote:

I found a solution. I installed the printer in question on a Win7 32 bit workstation. Then exported the drivers to a file and then imported them into the Win2008 print server. The drivers automatically associated with the correct printer.

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)
    Sunday, December 05, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Sure.

Once you have the printer in question installed on the Win7 x86 workstation you goto "Admin Tools", "Print Management" "Print Server"

Right click the workstation under "Print Server" and select "Export Printers to File." This will construct a file that you can place on the Win2008 server then import into the "Print Server."

The export function will transfer all printers on the workstation you cannot select any particular one. Once you import the file the print server will automatically associate the correct driver with whatever printers are on the Win2008 print server. You should be able to go to "Properties", "Sharing" and "Additional Drivers" and see the x86 box selected. If not the import did not work.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Excellent. Thanks. Actually, I'm thinking of using this technique to export/install 64-bit drivers onto an X64 server. Do you think it will work?

--------

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP

On 12/5/2010 11:32 AM, Myrt Webb wrote:

Sure.

Once you have the printer in question installed on the Win7 x86 workstation you goto "Admin Tools", "Print Management" "Print Server"

Right click the workstation under "Print Server" and select "Export Printers to File." This will construct a file that you can place on the Win2008 server then import into the "Print Server."

The export function will transfer all printers on the workstation you cannot select any particular one. Once you import the file the print server will automatically associate the correct driver with whatever printers are on the Win2008 print server. You should be able to go to "Properties", "Sharing" and "Additional Drivers" and see the x86 box selected. If not the import did not work.

Monday, December 06, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Probably, but there is only one way to find out for sure.

Good luck.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Thanks.

--------

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP

On 12/6/2010 9:29 PM, Myrt Webb wrote:

Probably, but there is only one way to find out for sure.

Good luck.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:24 AM