none
How to diskless boot guest PC from Hyper-v on network?

Question

• I'm sorry if this has been asked before but this is my first time doing this configuration and I need to get some things straight.

I have a Hyper-V Manager installed on a server with a Windows 7 virtual machine on it. I also have another client physical machine with no OS installed on it connected to the same network.

How can I get the client machine to boot into the Hyper-V's VM? How do I tell the client machine to recognize Hyper-v? And how can I tell Hyper-v to recognize the client machine?

Do I need anything else other than Hyper-V installed? Like PXE Network Booting enabled on the client's machine?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:52 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry if this has been asked before but this is my first time doing this configuration and I need to get some things straight.

I have a Hyper-V Manager installed on a server with a Windows 7 virtual machine on it. I also have another client physical machine with no OS installed on it connected to the same network.

How can I get the client machine to boot into the Hyper-V's VM? How do I tell the client machine to recognize Hyper-v? And how can I tell Hyper-v to recognize the client machine?

Do I need anything else other than Hyper-V installed? Like PXE Network Booting enabled on the client's machine?

Please see this blog:

http://windowsdiskless.wordpress.com/how-to/overview-of-solution/

It's a good place to start with iSCSI-based diskless booting. With your scenario your Hyper-V will host as a server to boot guest OS from. Then you can use RDP to actually implement VDI-like scenario connecting to VMs running directly on Hyper-V. That's how I would do it.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:07 AM

All replies

Please see this blog:

http://windowsdiskless.wordpress.com/how-to/overview-of-solution/

It's a good place to start with iSCSI-based diskless booting. With your scenario your Hyper-V will host as a server to boot guest OS from. Then you can use RDP to actually implement VDI-like scenario connecting to VMs running directly on Hyper-V. That's how I would do it.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:07 AM
  • I have already found a solution from ccboot.com

But unfortunately I cannot use it because we already have a DHCP server running and we cannot create a whole new subnet just for this.

This cannot be done without without the DHCP server?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Yes, you will need DHCP.  Not familiar with ccboot, but it sounds like it must be some sort of PXE-like tool.  What those tools do is ask for an IP address from DHCP because there is generally no way to preconfigure them with an IP address.  Maybe ccboot is different - you would have to ask the vendor, but anything I have seen that provides network booting relies on DHCP so they can get an address to allow them to talk on the network.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:47 AM
  • CCBoot works the same way. DHCP server is required.

I tried telling that to my IT manager but he wouldn't listen and kept telling me that Hyper-V is built to operate that way (network booting).

But how on earth do I get the client PC to recognize the server's hyper-v with no IP?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:55 PM