none
MS approach to non-Windows computers in Windows networks

Question

• Still on my crusade to 70-291

What is MS approach (networking protocols) for accessing  (interoperability) from/to(and name resolving of) non-Windows  computers in Windows networks?

I understood it as NetBIOS over TCP/IP with WINS Proxy Agents on client Windows computers used for routing them to WINS servers (in another networks).

Though I have heard that NetBIOS is legacy to be deprecated

So, what is to be used in modern (non-deprecated) approach?

Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:02 AM

Answers

• I appreciate your private opinion and sanity check on observable reality but I am eager to know and understand MS rationale and reasoning (and, thereafter, what to expect in future products).

I'd also like to confine the topic to 70-291 context (and inside it to my personal interest on workgroups). My guess: there is nothing in 70-291 materials about Samba but a lot of contradictions between DNS vs. NBT, CIFS (SMB). 

I am not sure where would be correctly to post it but I am eager to know how does DNS substitute the need for flat (without dots) host names (if NetBIOS and its naming are defunct)?

I can't help you with any vendor's rationale and reasoning, but I'm sure it was made taking all factors in mind.

My NDA prevents me from discussing what is in the exams and what is not, and it's not up for debate. Being a developer that has worked in a corporate environment, I'm sure you understand. These are the things you'll learn as you take the exams.

There is no "need" to substitute a resolution protocol. The Operating system will try each until it either resolves the name or doesn't. The resolution requirements depends on the application.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003, Microsoft Certified Trainer, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by vgv8 Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:55 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:52 PM

All replies

• Still on my crusade to 70-291

What is MS approach (networking protocols) for accessing  (interoperability) from/to(and name resolving of) non-Windows  computers in Windows networks?

The common, and not just Microsoft's approach, is to use DNS as a common resolution service, and TCP/IP to communicate.

I understood it as NetBIOS over TCP/IP with WINS Proxy Agents on client Windows computers used for routing them to WINS servers (in another networks).

WINS is a Microsoft service, (NBNS - NetBios Name Server), designed for Microsoft operating systems, as was previously pointed out. For a non-Microsoft OS to utilize WINS, and I assume you are talking about Linux, Unix and Mac OSx, which is Unix based anyway, you'll need to install Samba, a utility that translates SMB, the Microsoft communication protocol, to NFS, the *nix communication protocol. Samba has NBT capabilities that will allow it to use an NBNS for name resolution, including a Browser feature to participate in the Neighborhood, or My Network Places, whatever you want to call it.

A WINS Proxy agent would usually go on a server, with RRAS installed for VPNs, or without RRAS on a subnet, to *listen* to NetBIOS broadcasts from non-WINS clients, including Samba clients not configured with an NBNS server, and sends the info in the broadcasts to the WINS server to register it. If the non-WINS client broadcasts out for a name to connect to, such as when someone's using a UNC to a share, the WINS Proxy will lookup the name in WINS for the client and broadcast the result so the client can hear it.

Though I have heard that NetBIOS is legacy to be deprecated /

As was posted in another thread. However as was also posted, briefly pointing it out again without repeating the entire discussion or comments, it's not disappearing anytime soon due to business legacy apps and services that still rely on it.

So, what is to be used in modern (non-deprecated) approach?

DNS, preferrably, however apparently in this day and age, that would be serendipidity, because as was pointed out, it's not going away anytime soon due to existing legacy resolution requirements.

Good luck on your crusade.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003, Microsoft Certified Trainer, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services. This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:59 AM
  • I appreciate your private opinion and sanity check on observable reality but I am eager to know and understand MS rationale and reasoning (and, thereafter, what to expect in future products).

I'd also like to confine the topic to 70-291 context (and inside it to my personal interest on workgroups). My guess: there is nothing in 70-291 materials about Samba but a lot of contradictions between DNS vs. NBT, CIFS (SMB). 

I am not sure where would be correctly to post it but I am eager to know how does DNS substitute the need for flat (without dots) host names (if NetBIOS and its naming are defunct)?

Saturday, July 17, 2010 7:08 AM

I can't help you with any vendor's rationale and reasoning, but I'm sure it was made taking all factors in mind.

My NDA prevents me from discussing what is in the exams and what is not, and it's not up for debate. Being a developer that has worked in a corporate environment, I'm sure you understand. These are the things you'll learn as you take the exams.

There is no "need" to substitute a resolution protocol. The Operating system will try each until it either resolves the name or doesn't. The resolution requirements depends on the application.

• Marked as answer by vgv8 Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:55 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:52 PM
  • My NDA prevents me from discussing what is in the exams and what is not, and it's not up for debate. Being a developer that has worked in a corporate environment, I'm sure you understand. These are the things you'll learn as you take the exams.

How unfortunate to me that you had taken MS exams

Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:58 AM
  • My NDA prevents me from discussing what is in the exams and what is not, and it's not up for debate. Being a developer that has worked in a corporate environment, I'm sure you understand. These are the things you'll learn as you take the exams.

How unfortunate to me that you had taken MS exams

No unfortunate meant for anyone, rather the exams are extremely helpful for one's career. I'm glad you understand.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:04 AM