none
3389 not listening 2008r2 RRS feed

• Question

• i have rdp enabled on this 2008 r2 server but users cannot login via rdp. also 3389 is not listening. any ideas?
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• recreate the RDP listener by going to Remote desktop session host configuration and delete the listener. Then create it again and check
    Monday, September 23, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Make sure that Remote Desktop Services service (TermService) is running.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you enabled port 3389 in the firewall or do have any AV software running that could block port 3389?

Did you test with Telnet if port 3389 is not responding or do you receive an error message when connecting through RDP?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:20 PM
  • no firewall is running. netstat -ano shows no 3389 port listening. telnet to 3389 does not respond. there is no av running
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:21 PM
  • I don't necessarily think that 3389 would be listening- but that is another topic.

Try this article

Hopefully that helps!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Make sure that Remote Desktop Services service (TermService) is running.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

How is the issue going now? Is there any update?

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:10 AM
  • recreate the RDP listener by going to Remote desktop session host configuration and delete the listener. Then create it again and check
    Monday, September 23, 2013 5:05 PM
  • I hade kind of the same problem...

I hade to uninstall KB2621440 and reinstall it again. Reboot and it works again.

Regards
    Robert

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Thanks Jeremy.... This is worked for me.....
    Monday, November 3, 2014 3:56 PM
  • This solved my issue!

Thanks (Tackar)  Robban Eriksson

// Jesper

• Edited by JesperPo Friday, June 5, 2015 7:34 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 7:33 AM
  • I found that just going into the properties of the RDP-Tcp connection and changing the Network Adapter and applying, brought the service back to a listening state.

Deleting and Adding also resets the listening port back to the default 3389.

Saturday, September 5, 2015 1:04 AM
  • Thank you so much, it worked.
    Monday, December 11, 2017 1:43 AM
  • I know this is old but I just had this issue and nothing worked.

My fix was to make sure the following services were started and set to automatic.

DNS Client
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    SSDP Discovery
    UPnP

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:02 PM