none
RollupFix 14393.3274 causing DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION BSOD and a bootloop RRS feed

• Question

• Hardware: HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8

Apologies, I am not allowed to post images or links as my account isn't yet verified. I have request verification but still waiting. As soon as I'm verified I will post the images and links properly.

I noticed a few days ago that my file share was offline, so I went to RDP into my server but it kept failing. Using HP iLO I remote console'd in and found myself greeted with a Windows PE screen asking me to choose a keyboard layout (turns out it was in the installation repair wizard - must have gotten there itself when it borked). I exited the wizard and attempted a normal boot. I got to the screen with the spinner saying "Updating, don't turn off your computer" or whatever it says. After a couple of minutes, the spinning dots freeze, then I get a BSOD DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION and a reboot.

I have managed to boot into Safe Mode with command prompt to use dism to remove the guilty updates, however dism also fails.

I have the two following suspect entries in the package list:

[REDACTED 1]

Unfortunately, when attempting to remove 1..9, it stalls around 10% then bums out with this error:

[REDACTED 2]

And when trying 1.4 I get:

[REDACTED 3]

Here are links to my dism.log and cbs.log:

https://github.com/jonnywright/server-help

I have also tried various other dism actions, such as /scanhealth and /restorehealth, both of which seem to progress well but then fail toward the end of the process.

[REDACTED 4]

I have also tried all the other standard recovery options (Last Known Good Config etc) to no avail. The only difference now is that since trying to remove the patches with dism, when Windows tries to boot and I get the "death spinner", the message states that Windows is trying to undo the updates, but still fails in the same way.

One thing which has changed (could be complete coincidence) is that sometimes the server will now boot to Windows, but BSODs shortly after.

[MODERATOR NOTE - External hosting links redacted, sorry. See below]

• Edited by Pete LakerMVP, Moderator Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:08 PM external file share links, posting below on behalf of OP
    • Edited by jw24 Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:38 PM Updated log link
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:52 PM

All replies

• Very sorry jw24. I had to redact your external links.

I understand that you do not yet have clearance to post images, but you need urgent assistance, right? Therefore, I've taken the liberty of re-posting them for you:

[REDACTED - 1]

[REDACTED - 2]

[REDACTED - 3]

[REDACTED - 4]

I haven't done the same for the two logs, but you have to understand (especially as it is regarding a possible hack) people are unlikely to follow your links anyway. So I hope this helps. If you want to show the logs, I suggest you copy any relevant bits as text, or share from GitHub. I left the main url which others can reform with "hostr.co", if they understand the risks. I am not casting any aspersions on you, but even a hosting site can have innocent images replaced with weaponised files, which is even out of your control. It's a wicked world, eh?!

Good luck and I hope some clever folks here can help.

All the best,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:18 PM
  • No problem - totally get it. Have uploaded to Github and will edit links in OP.

Thanks for including the images.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Hi

Form the images, I found that you used “dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth” directly and failed, you should first run” Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup”, please refer to the following picture:

For more details, you can refer to David Bailey's answer in the following link:

Failure DISM. No operation was performed.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Besides, you can refer to the following link for more assistance:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/dpc-watchdog-violation-on-windows-10-fixed/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 25, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Thanks for the response, however when trying the above command, I get "The operation could not be completed due to pending operations.", which is unfortunate!

I have read a lot of articles which point to driver issues, however my problem is it often won't manage to boot to Windows, and if it does, it crashes out before you can do anything constructive.

• Edited by jw24 Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:27 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

First of all please perform a CLEAN BOOT of Windows (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows) and then start again the above procedure.

If it does not work, also perform a SFC scannow.

Hope can help you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 28, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kiki Shi

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:38 AM