none
Folder Redirection Errors after FileShare Move

Question

• Last week our "HomeDrive" shares were moved from one set of servers to the another.  Changes were made in Active Directory to point users to their new X: drive (home drive) share.

In Group Policy for my terminal server farm, I have the Documents folder set as such:

Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location)
    Path: %HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%
    Options:
    Grant user exclusive rights to Documents: Enabled
    Move the contents of Documents to the new location: Enabled
    Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000.... : Enabled
    Policy Removal Behavior: Leave Contents
    Now I'm seeing these events in the eventlog when the user logs in and I can't figure out where the references to the old server still are?
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Videos" to \\newserver\home\My Videos.
    Redirection options=0x9001.

The following error occurred: "Failed to build the list of regular subfolders under \\oldserver\home\My Videos".

Error details: "The network name cannot be found.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:38 PM

Answers

• I have found the references to the old server share name within the registry.

They are in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Personal : REG_SZ : \\oldservername\home

I can manually change the UNC reference to the new server name and then when the user logs off, the user profile is updated and the problem goes away.  This is really strange.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hello Redparadox,

I think the cause could be that the Move the contents of Documents to the new location was enabled.

Folder redirection - Documents folder
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/f8c1f583-f8e0-46a5-9d1c-a76bf11b48d1

Brent Hu,
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hello Redparadox,

Do you simply move Home folder from old server to another server?

Can you access share folder on the new server by using UNC path?

Do you redirect My Videos independently instead of following My Documents? If no, the actual path should be \\newserver\home\username\My Documents\My Videos.

What operation system are running on the client computers?

Please collect the output of GPResult /v and upload Gpsvc.log file to the SkyDrive for further research.

userenvlog for Windows Vista/2008/Win7
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mempson/archive/2010/01/10/userenvlog-for-windows-vista-2008-win7.aspx

Brent Hu,
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  In answer to your questions.

> Can you access share folder on the new server by using UNC path?  [Yes]

>Do you redirect My Videos independently instead of following My Documents? [No, it follows documents]

>What operation system are running on the client computers? [Windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services]

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:19 PM
  • I have found the references to the old server share name within the registry.

They are in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Personal : REG_SZ : \\oldservername\home

I can manually change the UNC reference to the new server name and then when the user logs off, the user profile is updated and the problem goes away.  This is really strange.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hello Redparadox,

I think the cause could be that the Move the contents of Documents to the new location was enabled.

Folder redirection - Documents folder
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/f8c1f583-f8e0-46a5-9d1c-a76bf11b48d1

Brent Hu,
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  I have made the change in the GPO and will see if that corrects the issue.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:18 PM