none
How to manage Hyper-V installed on server core rc1 2008 server

Question

• Can any body tell how to manage hyper-v installed on server core using GUI. Can i connect for MMC from a windows 2008 full installation box.

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:50 AM

Answers

•  Deepaksn wrote:
    Can i connect for MMC from a windows 2008 full installation box.

Yes, you can.

I've installed the Hyper-V role on a Full Installation of an English Non-Localized Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition RC1 v.735 x64 box and can manage Hyper-V on my Server Core box (installed with the same version of Windows Server 2008) flawlessly.

To install the Hyper-V role on the Server Core box I have run the following two commands on the console of the Server Core box:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
    start /w pkgmgr /iu:Microsoft-Hyper-V

To disable the firewall on the Server Core box I have run the following command  on the console of the Server Core box:

netsh firewall set opmode disable

Note:

Disabling the Windows firewall completely using this command is only recommended for testing purposes for a defined period of time!

On the Full installation I opened the hyper-V Management Console and added the Server Core box as a Hyper-V Server. Within the console I can manage both Hyper-V servers on the Full Installation box and the Server Core box.

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:24 AM

All replies

•  Deepaksn wrote:
    Can i connect for MMC from a windows 2008 full installation box.

Yes, you can.

I've installed the Hyper-V role on a Full Installation of an English Non-Localized Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition RC1 v.735 x64 box and can manage Hyper-V on my Server Core box (installed with the same version of Windows Server 2008) flawlessly.

To install the Hyper-V role on the Server Core box I have run the following two commands on the console of the Server Core box:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

To disable the firewall on the Server Core box I have run the following command  on the console of the Server Core box:

netsh firewall set opmode disable

Note:

Disabling the Windows firewall completely using this command is only recommended for testing purposes for a defined period of time!

On the Full installation I opened the hyper-V Management Console and added the Server Core box as a Hyper-V Server. Within the console I can manage both Hyper-V servers on the Full Installation box and the Server Core box.

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

I have gone through the instructions above, but i am still unable to connect to the Server Core box.

I am running Server 2008 Core with Hyper-V installed, and Server 2008 Standard 32Bit to access the core.

When i try and connect to the Core box using Hyper-V Manager, i get the following message:

"Access cannot be authorized on the computer '<computer name>'. Make sure that you have access to this computer"

Both machines are running in the same workgroup.

Can anyone help?
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

Do the administrator passwords match on both computers? If not, you need to use cmdkey to specifiy different credentials. At a command prompt run:

cmdkey /add:<server_core_computername> /user:<server_core_computername>\administrator /pass:*

Andrew

Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:08 PM
    Owner

• Ahh, thanks for that. I did actually try setting the passwords the same and realised it worked. I will try your command instead though as i didn't want to have the passwords the same.

Another question i have is trying to get all of the remote management stuff working with the firewall enabled on the core box. I have just done a fresh install of the core to try and get everything working without hacking too much .. i.e. disabling firewall rules willy nilly to gain access. All i am trying to acheive with my core install is just a bare OS to run virtual machines from, kinda like VMWare's ESX Server.

From a fresh install i have run the following basic commands initially on the core:

1. Enable Ping - netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8
    2. Enabled RDP - Cscript %windir%\system32\SCRegEdit.wsf /ar 0         
                              Cscript %windir%\system32\SCRegEdit.wsf /cs 0
    3. Install Hyper-V (MS Install Guide) - Start /w ocsetup Microsoft-Hyper-V
    4. Your commands above - bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

Ideally it would be nice to install a basic server 2008 virtual machine straight from the core so i can then use that to manage the core from then on using a GUI (but i gather this isn't really documented yet). At the moment i have a second machine running server 2008 that i can manager the core though.

Without disabling the firewall on the core, what are a basic set of firewall rules i can enable to allow me to manage components on the core like Hyper-V MMC, Firewall, Disk Management etc. I have tried commands i've found on a number of sites, but i still get RPC errors so it seems i'm not enabling the correct ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Hi,

The Server Core step by step guide has a section on this entitled "To configure Windows Firewall to allow MMC snap-in(s) to connect". It is located at: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/47a23a74-e13c-46de-8d30-ad0afb1eaffc1033.mspx?mfr=true

There is a step missing for Disk Management that I'm working on getting added. You need to enable the VDS service on the Server Core box and you need to open the ports on the box you are running the MMC on as well.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:29 AM
    Owner

• *sigh* It seems i get stuck at every point Smile Thanks heaps for helping me out with these questions and i hope they are helpful for others just trying to get the basics working of Server Core + Hyper V. I didn't think what i am trying to do would be that difficult.

The above guide you posted a link to was helpful, and i can now connect the Firewall MMC to the Core with the firewall enabled on the core, however now i cant access the Hyper-V Manager MMC. I'm getting an RPC error.

The firewall rules i have enabled so far are:

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Administration" new enable=yes
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Volume Manager" new enable=yes
    netsh advfirewall set currentprofile settings remotemanagement enable

What group enables access to the Hyper-V Manager MMC?

(With the Firewall disabled) I can start to remotely manage the Virtual Machines, and then i hit my next hurdle Smile I can create a new virtual machine ok, but then when i try and conncet to it i get the following error:

Connecting to the remote session failed. Failure reason. Unknown reason code: 6919.

Would you like to try connection again? Respond  yes, but no connection...same error.

The annoying thing is, in the little summary info about the virtual machine, there is a small thumbnail image of the running virtual machine, and i can see in that its sitting at the Windows Setup screen from the disk i'm using to install the new virtual machine. So the virtual machine is obviously booting up fine, i just cant connect to it!!

Any ideas on the above two issues?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Peter

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:34 PM

• OK, I have now resolved my second issue above where i couldn't connect to a running virtual machine. Turns out you just have to 'ACTIVATE' the server core install first Smile

My other issue still remains where unless i disable the firewall, i cant connect to the core using a lot of the MMC snap-ins including Hyper-V Manager.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Microsoft placed an update for Microsoft Windows Vista with ServicePack 1 on its download servers that enables you to enable remote management of a Windows Server 2008 RTM computer running the Hyper-V RC0 role. All users of the Hyper-V role are encouraged to apply this upgrade. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Download it here.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Hello,
    I've installed a server core (RTM version) and activated Hyper-V RC0. I followed the steps written on the "Virtual PC Guy's WebLog".I can create a VM remotely with mmc but when I try to start it, this message appears:

Hyper-V Manager

[Main Instruction]
    An error occurred while attempting to change the state of virtual machine vm1.

[Content]
    'vm1' failed to initialize.

Failed to create partition: Accès refusé à l’objet spécifié. (0xC0350006)

[Expanded Information]
    'vm1' failed to initialize. (VMID 26C91DBD-8022-418E-9808-4D412C0A8FEA)

Failed to create partition: Accès refusé à l’objet spécifié. (0xC0350006)

What is happening?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:52 AM
  • I'm having the same issue as Christophe.  However, my error message is slightly different.

'VM' failed to initialize.

Failed to create partition: Unspecified error (0x80004005)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Dr._Colossus said:

Hi,

I have gone through the instructions above, but i am still unable to connect to the Server Core box.

I am running Server 2008 Core with Hyper-V installed, and Server 2008 Standard 32Bit to access the core.

When i try and connect to the Core box using Hyper-V Manager, i get the following message:

"Access cannot be authorized on the computer '<computer name>'. Make sure that you have access to this computer"

Both machines are running in the same workgroup.

Can anyone help?

I am having the same issue.  I tried the changing the firewall rules as well as the cmdkey command.  What elese am I over looking.  I am trying to manage a core hyper-v server from a vist desktop in a workgroup environment.  The OS versions are x64 with latest updates.

?

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:00 AM
  • We had various issues configuring Win7 Client to run Hyper-V Manager , so tomanage Core installation...

It the best thing to do to have 'Full' W2K8 R2/ R2 Sp1 conected to free Hyper-V/ Server 2008 R2 Core?

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Simply try this cool FREE Tool : http://www.5nine.com/5nine-manager-for-hyper-v-free.aspx

full functionality is available with full version of the 5nine Manager which is 99.00 .  You can

put it directly on the W2K8 Core or free Hyper-V and get a local GUI similar to MS Hyper-V

Manager...

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:01 AM
  • 5nine Manager is a great tool but allows for no connection to a virtual machine with free version. You cannot install system from the scratch that way.

Now, I am struggling with RPC connectin problem on my Hyper-V server and suspect it has something to do with 59manager.exe.

Be carefull!

Regards,

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:44 PM