none
need to create a Host record in DNS but letter should be all Caps

Question

• need to create a Host record in DNS but letter should be all Caps. I tried that but after some time I can see the host record is in all small case.

I have deleted that & recreate that but no luck. Any help.

AliahMurfy

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:35 AM

Answers

• Delete that record from dnsmgmt.msc. After that delete that from adsiedit.msc. If you are not able to see that record from adsiedit (10000 is the limit due to LDAP buffer size) use sysinternal adexplorer for deleting that record.

When we are deleting the dns record from dnsmgmt that is not actually deleted . That's gone in inactive.

run

repadmin /syncall /aepd

wait for completing the replication & then create that record.

Let us post the result.Difference can be seen only from GUI(like:dnsmgmt).

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas
    My Blogs|TechnetWiki Ninja

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

• Edited by bshwjt Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aliah Murfy Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:03 AM

All replies

• Are the record get overriden and getting timestamp?.You can try this on the record go to security and remove system and others from the permission and leave the administrator to update the record.

Best Regards,

Sandesh Dubey.

MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 6:21 AM
  • No luck. That is static record which I have created manually but after some time that is gone all lower case but I have created all upper case.

AliahMurfy

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

What are you trying to achive by creating record in CAPS letter ??

As far as I know DNS is NOT case sensitive, however it is case aware.

Warm regards,

Gauresh Sakhalkar.

MCSE | MCSA: Messaging

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:36 AM
  • I dont want to achive anything. In some region SAP admin requted to me that they need a record with all uppercase. SAP admin might be achive something.

AliahMurfy

• Edited by Aliah Murfy Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Hello,

Please read MVP people answer in this link:

small and capital letters in DNS / Active Directory

Regards

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:01 AM
  • I have seen that but there is no solution for that & that is static record also that is no computer associate with that A record. 

AliahMurfy

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:13 AM
  • need to create a Host record in DNS but letter should be all Caps. I tried that but after some time I can see the host record is in all small case.

I have deleted that & recreate that but no luck. Any help.

DNS records are not case sensitive so I that it does not matter if the record is in lowercase or uppercase.

I dont want to achive anything. In some region SAP admin requted to me that they need a record with all uppercase. SAP admin might be achive something.

I think that it would be better to first understand what SAP admin would like to achieve. The DNS resolution is possible using uppercase or lowercase records so I don't see why the SAP admin would like to update the record itself.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:14 AM
  • is there anyway to create a "A" record with all upper case which was previously all lower case.

That is static record. Also there is no computer associate with that A record.

AliahMurfy

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:31 AM
  • is there anyway to create a "A" record with all upper case which was previously all lower case.

That is static record. Also there is no computer associate with that A record.

AliahMurfy

If I am not wrong, you should remove the current entries and re-create them.

This link should be helpful: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/195598-36-change-entries-lowercase

However, I don't really see any advantage of doing since from DNS servers side. I think you need to get more details from the SAP admin of what he is trying to achieve.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Please ask from SAP admin, what is exactly problem?

Here is example:

Here is A record example:

Regards

• Edited by Patris_70 Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:13 PM Photo
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Thanks all of you. Just want to add , if I created a new "A" record which seems ok but if I delete an old "A" record & recreate that problem seems there.

AliahMurfy

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Delete that record from dnsmgmt.msc. After that delete that from adsiedit.msc. If you are not able to see that record from adsiedit (10000 is the limit due to LDAP buffer size) use sysinternal adexplorer for deleting that record.

When we are deleting the dns record from dnsmgmt that is not actually deleted . That's gone in inactive.

run

repadmin /syncall /aepd

wait for completing the replication & then create that record.

Let us post the result.Difference can be seen only from GUI(like:dnsmgmt).

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

• Edited by bshwjt Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aliah Murfy Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Thanks a ton Biswajit. it works for me.

AliahMurfy

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Glad to here .That is working :-)

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas

• Edited by bshwjt Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:01 AM