none
Windows Server Backup & Hyper-V Host Component

Question

• Because I was having inconsistent backups use the Child Partition Snapshots, I have each of my VM's doing their own backup. So I an preparing a custom backup schedule for the actual server, excluding the VM's. Should I back up the VM Host Component? 
    Monday, August 26, 2013 9:55 AM

Answers

• Yes . Make sure you take system state backup using this method you can take backup of VM Host Components.

Akshay Pate Server Administrator

• Proposed as answer by Akshay Pate Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by AlaskanRogue Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:02 AM

All replies

• Yes . Make sure you take system state backup using this method you can take backup of VM Host Components.

Akshay Pate Server Administrator

• Proposed as answer by Akshay Pate Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by AlaskanRogue Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

Host Components:

It is mandatory to have host component while taking backup of VM using DPM 2010/2012. If we failed to take the backup of HOST COMPONENT we might failed to Recover Virtual Machine with the same configuration using recovery types of “Recover to the original instance / Recover as virtual machine to any host“ . Your virtual machine will not restart on any host without host component. In simple words: host components carrying virtual machines configuration files.  

Note: Backup of virtual machine without host components also can recoverable but we will miss the configuration part. We have to re-configure each and everything to make VM active.

Regards,

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and please do "VOTE".

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:28 AM
  • It is mandatory to have host component while taking backup of VM using DPM 2010/2012. If we failed to take the backup of HOST COMPONENT we might failed to Recover Virtual Machine with the same configuration using recovery types of “Recover to the original instance / Recover as virtual machine to any host“ . Your virtual machine will not restart on any host without host component. In simple words: host components carrying virtual machines configuration files.  

Note: Backup of virtual machine without host components also can recoverable but we will miss the configuration part. We have to re-configure each and everything to make VM active.

That's not a bad suggestion, but what if I create multiple protection groups for different sets of VMs? In this case, DPM will only let me add the host component to just one the PGs.

"This item is already a member of another protection group."

Should I create a separate PG just for the host components of the Hyper-V hosts and make sure it runs whenever any of the other Hyper-V-related PGs run?

Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:49 PM