none
Installing WebClient Service without Desktop Experience?

Question

• Is it possible to install the WebClient service on a Windows Server 2008 terminal server without installing the Desktop Experience?  

We have opted to omit the Desktop Experience Feature from our terminal server build as installing it seems to introduce instability and performance issues.  Unfortunately the organisation is poised for a mass roll-out of SharePoint 2007 (MOSS 2007) and it is my understanding that certain Office integration features will not work correctly without the WebClient service installed and running.

Many thanks for any advice on working around this issue, 

Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:19 AM

Answers

• My answer from the WebDAV discussion alias:

WebDAV is an optional component on server SKUs (from WS08 and onwards) and can only be installed through the Desktop Experience. There is no other method.

WebDAV is present by default on client SKUs however.

Hope this answers your questions.  In the future, questions about the WebClient should be directed to WebDAV.

Thanks,
    Alicia 

Friday, July 10, 2009 9:12 PM

All replies

• I dont know if you can install webclient service without isntalling Desktop experience. However even if Desktop experience is installed you can disable Aero theme and other features that comes with Desktop experience pack so that system performance is not affected.

thanks!

Friday, February 27, 2009 11:21 AM
    Owner
  • I appreciate the feedback Shanmugam but I am after either a means to install the Web Client service without installing the Desktop Experience or confirmation that it is not possible.  I understand that it should be possible to disable some, if not all, of the unwanted functionality that gets installed as part of the Desktop Experience feature but it strikes me that this would involve significantly more work than should be needed to get a simple service installed.

Thanks again,

Friday, February 27, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hello again Shanmugam.

Just to let you know that I am removing your post as the proposed answer as it does not answer my question:

Is it possible to install the WebClient service on a Windows Server 2008 terminal server without installing the Desktop Experience?  

I am aware that installing the Desktop Experience will install the Web Client service.  I am also aware that it is possible to restrict access to and disable the additional unwanted features that are installed as part of the Desktop Experience Feature. 

Thanks again for the advice on how I might minimise the impact of installing the Desktop Experience feature.  As you have indicated that you do not know the answer to the question I posed however I would like to leave the question open for other users that may be able to assist.

Friday, February 27, 2009 1:56 PM
  • We're having the exact same problem. Did you find a way to install the WebClient service without installing the whole Desktop Experience feature?

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:31 PM
  • What exactly do you mean by "WebClient service"?  Are you referring to TSPorta, TSWeb, or something else?  Is this a role service for the Remote Desktop Role?
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:46 PM
  • We mean the service called "WebClient". http://pix.sonhult.se/thisone.jpg

No, it's a service installed with "Desktop Experience", and makes it possible to access (for example) SharePoint document libraries by UNC path.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:41 AM
  • My answer from the WebDAV discussion alias:

WebDAV is an optional component on server SKUs (from WS08 and onwards) and can only be installed through the Desktop Experience. There is no other method.

WebDAV is present by default on client SKUs however.

Hope this answers your questions.  In the future, questions about the WebClient should be directed to WebDAV.

Thanks,
    Alicia 

Friday, July 10, 2009 9:12 PM
  • The question was about the installation of the WebClient service on a terminal server - I thought that the Terminal Services section of the forums would have a higher proportion of users that had dealt with the WebClient service on a terminal server than would be the case in a WebDAV forum which would include client OS WebDAV operations.

Many thanks for your reply though.  At least now I can give up the search.

Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Its been a while but for anyone wandering to this question.

Refer here to enable webdav on IIS 7 without installing Desktop Experience

- webdav on iis7

• Proposed as answer by RVTelLux Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:18 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:34 PM
  • What about installing on a Windows 2016 RDS server. There doesn't seem to be an option for the desktop experience.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 9:52 PM