none
missing disk of storage pool, SRV12 Essentials under Win8 / Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• SRV 12 Essentials Storage Pool misses one of two disks. Both disks had been attached as physical disks to the virtual server under Hyper-V. That was fine, but after a restart (probably without power connection on one of the two disks) now the missing disk shows up as a physical disk on the host Win8, but not as a logical disk there. So, this logical disk can not be re-attached to SRV 12 Ess. As it is missing there, the storage pool is gone - without indicating a failure. The second physical disk of that pool shows up as a physical disk on Win 8 machine, as a logical disk, too (offline) and we could set it online on the guest operating system. With all data from the former pool. How the hell can we bring the other physical drive back to the pool? By the way: Win8 storage space can manage both drives, shows both as online.
    Friday, January 25, 2013 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

> By the way: Win8 storage pool sees both disks online

“Win8 storage pool” did you mean Windows 8 Storage Spaces feature?

Have you configured that?

Since these two disks are used as pass through disks for guest VMs, there is not necessary to configure Storage Spaces feature in Windows 8.

You may remove disks from Storage Spaces, then you can take them offline in Disk Manager.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Virtualizing storage for scale, resiliency, and efficiency
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx
    Migrating a Storage Pool from Windows Server 8 Beta to Windows Server 2012 RTM
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rob/archive/2012/12/18/migrating-a-storage-pool-from-windows-server-8-beta-to-windows-server-2012-rtm.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

sorry for mismatching storage pool and storage space. Originally both disks were configuered a storage pool in the VM winsrv 2012. No need for a storage space on the host OS.

We dont know why and how this pool from the VM changed to be a space on the host ( windows 8 client). Perhaps related to the hardware power failure of one of the disks of that pool when restarting the host. It's easy to proof, that the space was a pool before: the title of that space was in German language (the VM has a German OS, the host is English).

In fact, the only way to proceed was just as Lawrence recommended. We considered that before, but were looking for a solution that keeps the data on the disks. Thats not possible when creating an new pool with those disks.

THX for all comments and assistance!

Finally: we have 2 VM servers (2012 Essentials with AD and domain server and 2012 standard for SharePoint and Dotnetnuke development). Windows 8 client as host works fine.

After some more testing, we will recommend this configuration to our customers.

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:04 AM

All replies

• all disks are internal storage

• Edited by SmartVilla1 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:30 AM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

According to my understanding, there is your scenario, correct me if my understanding is wrong:

• A Windows Server 2012 Essential server installed with some built-in disks and configured as Storage pool.
    • A Windows 8 computer has Hyper-V installed.
    • A VM runs in Windows 8 Hyper-V.
    • Disks were connected to guest VM in Windows 8 Hyper-V, is that through iSCSI connection?

> missing disk shows up as a physical disk on the host Win8, but not as a logical disk there.
    > So, this logical disk can not be re-attached to SRV 12 Ess.

What did you mean this? I feel confusion; please give us more information about your configuration.

How to Configure a Clustered Storage Space in Windows Server 2012
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2012/06/02/10314262.aspx
    Windows Server 2012 Storage Virtualization Explained
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/yungchou/archive/2012/08/31/windows-server-2012-storage-virtualization-explained.aspx

Hope this helps!

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

Monday, January 28, 2013 5:51 AM
  • this is the configuration: physical machine: Windows 8. Hyper-V activated on this Win8 machine. Win SRV 21012 Ess running as VM. 2 physical disks had been taken offline in Win8 machine and assigned to the VM via SCSI controller. SRV 12 Ess uses both disks as a storage pool. After a restart and whatever happend: Win8 machines disk manager shows only 1 of the two physical disks (status offline). This disk is assigned to the VM, but the pool there is gone. The other disk is alive, but does not show up in Win8 disk manager, can not be assigned to the guest VM to rebuild the stoareg pool there. By the way: Win8 storage pool sees both disks online.

It's strange but compelling...

• Edited by SmartVilla1 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:30 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Lawrence,

the host is a windows 8 client, not a server. The VMs are not replicated.

• Edited by SmartVilla1 Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

> By the way: Win8 storage pool sees both disks online

“Win8 storage pool” did you mean Windows 8 Storage Spaces feature?

Have you configured that?

Since these two disks are used as pass through disks for guest VMs, there is not necessary to configure Storage Spaces feature in Windows 8.

You may remove disks from Storage Spaces, then you can take them offline in Disk Manager.

Virtualizing storage for scale, resiliency, and efficiency
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx
    Migrating a Storage Pool from Windows Server 8 Beta to Windows Server 2012 RTM
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rob/archive/2012/12/18/migrating-a-storage-pool-from-windows-server-8-beta-to-windows-server-2012-rtm.aspx

Hope this helps!

Lawrence

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

Friday, February 1, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

sorry for mismatching storage pool and storage space. Originally both disks were configuered a storage pool in the VM winsrv 2012. No need for a storage space on the host OS.

We dont know why and how this pool from the VM changed to be a space on the host ( windows 8 client). Perhaps related to the hardware power failure of one of the disks of that pool when restarting the host. It's easy to proof, that the space was a pool before: the title of that space was in German language (the VM has a German OS, the host is English).

In fact, the only way to proceed was just as Lawrence recommended. We considered that before, but were looking for a solution that keeps the data on the disks. Thats not possible when creating an new pool with those disks.

THX for all comments and assistance!

Finally: we have 2 VM servers (2012 Essentials with AD and domain server and 2012 standard for SharePoint and Dotnetnuke development). Windows 8 client as host works fine.

After some more testing, we will recommend this configuration to our customers.

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Hi, SmartVilla1

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

You experience and solution can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your contribution to Windows Server Forum!

Have a nice day!

Lawrence

Monday, February 4, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Hi, Lawrence

My new experience: after a windows update and restart of the host (win 8 client OS):

The two internal physical disks, attached to the virtual machine and configuered as a storage pool there, again moved to the win8 machine as a storage space! 

I don't see any possibility to get them back to the virtual machine without loss of all data on the pool/space. I think there is no other way as to delete the space on the host and build a new storage pool on the VM. (?)

I wonder, what causes the storage pool from the virtual machine under Hyper-V to convert to a storage space on the host when updating/restarting.  How can I avoid this in the future?

Mike

• Edited by SmartVilla1 Monday, February 18, 2013 9:31 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 9:30 AM
  • There is a lot of free space in the storage space. As the storage pool does no longer exist on the VM, this will not solve the Problem. Moving the VHDX file does not bring the storage space back to the VM as a storage pool. Disk manager sees the storage space as 1 disk (no matter how many physical disks it contains). If you bring this disk offline and attach it to the VM, it shows up as a basic disk. No way to reconfigure the storage pool. Sounds a little bit tricky - really it is.

Mike at SmartVilla

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:25 AM
  • o.k., we checked that: hardware is fine, disks show up as "online" in storage space. VHDX-files are located on separate internal disks. What do you mean by "all storage is local to the host CPU" ?

Mike

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem without losing your data? I have exactly the same situation. After a restart of the Win 8 host the VM machine's storage pool disks become online to the Win 8 host and won't go offline so that I can re-attach them to my VM. My VM is Win Server 2012 essentials. This won't boot without them. I have tried disabling them in Device Manager but as soon as I enable them again they re-appear as storage pool disks. There must be a way to get storage pool disks offline.

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:05 AM
  • Dave,

we did not find a solution. To avoid the risk of losing the storage pool on a Win Srv 12 essentials virtual machine again (after update and reboot), we skipped that storage pool on the VM. Now the host win8 machine has got a new storage space to provide network folders. Thats not a good solution, because win8 does not offer external backup features as win srv 12 essentials does.

Obviously, ist not a good idea to host win srv 12 essentials on a win 8 machine. But there is some good reason, if you want to separate a win serv 12 essentials Domain Controller from another win serv 12 machine with SharePoint on it - what is recommended by Microsoft. 3 different physical machines is no way either. Hyper-V may be the core problem?

Mike

Friday, August 2, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Thanks. Not good news. There is obviously a design problem here.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Thanks. Not good news. There is obviously a design problem here.

I agree. If any more users get to this point, please report. Finally, we will have a solution ...

Mike

Friday, August 2, 2013 9:50 AM
  • I have created a Feedback entry in Connect for Windows Server.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/feedback/details/795910/storage-spaces-and-hyper-v

SmartVilla1, can you add an "I can too" under User(s) can reproduce this bug please.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:54 PM