none
iSCSI Target Server service could not open the local mount driver (WTLMDrv.sys). 3

Question

• Every time I log in to my 2012 r2 server, I get the following error after some time.

The Microsoft iSCSI Target Server service could not open the local mount driver (WTLMDrv.sys). 3

And we do not have any ISCSI issues. All our servers can see their iscsi targets.

I do not know if it tries to find something that does not exist anymore? But this error comes every time i log in to the server. 

We are running on Storage Spaces with 2 redundant disks (raid 6). One of our disk failed. Is that why this error comes? We are planning to replace the defect disk later today

Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi SalokinSatto,

We are monitoring on this case and will wait for your feedback after replacing the defect disk.

Besides, it's also recommended to run sfc /scannow to check if there's any corrupt or missing system files.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:59 AM
  • We have replace the disk but still same errors on the event log. All things work fine. But very strange that these errors only come when I log on to the server or if I do anything with the ISCSI. For example, run the powershell command Get-IscsiVirtualDisk or creates an ISCSI disk.

It works fine if i create a new ISCSI disk but these error comes op in the event viewer. 

Friday, December 15, 2017 11:48 AM
  • I have just run the sfc /scannow

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Friday, December 15, 2017 11:58 AM
  • Hey, 

I assume that Microsoft iSCSI Target Service could not open the WTLMDrv.sys or does not have enough rights to do that. Agreed that checking system files is where you should start. 

As an alternative to Microsoft iSCSI Target Service, check StarWind Virtual SAN Free to share storage via iSCSI. 

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san-free

Cheers,

Alex Bykvoskyi

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Hi Alex and thanks for your reply.

The SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATORS group has Full control.

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hi SalokinSatto,

Please check the version of the wtlmdrv.sys and the modified date of the system file, also check the Server 2012R2 is patched with the latest windows update, if not, please install the latest monthly rollup on Server 2012R2

Windows Server 2012R2 update history:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009470/windows-8-1-windows-server-2012-r2-update-history

Please install KB4054519 or KB4048958 and check the result after then.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:27 AM
  • Hi Anne

Thank you. This is very strange. The modify date is 8/22/2013. The server is not that old. And the file version is 6.3.9600.16384. How can i get a newer version?

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:08 AM
  • Hi SalokinSatto,

Please install the latest windows update as I suggested above.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Just did.

The modify date and the version is still the same?

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Hi SalokinSatto,

Do you restart the computer and does the issue still exist?

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Yes the server is restarted and still have the issue. The modify date off the file and the version is still the same
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:44 AM
  • It strange that the file has not been modified since 8/22/2013 and the version is so old. 
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Hi SalokinSatto,

After some research, we still not get further solution to troubleshoot the issue, if you want to get better help, you'd open a case with MS:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Thanks.

Have done that, and so far they can find the root cause. 

Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Hi SalorkinSatto,

If you get any progress with MS, it's welcome to share the information with us.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:48 AM
  • So far they could not find the issue. They was not able to find any details about this event on any official documentation. It is like i am the only one that have this error events. 
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:16 AM
  • No You're definetely not the only one. I came here because of this problem. My wtlmdrv.inf is also from 2013, has the same version number.

I have the KB4054519 already installed, then looked for KB4048958. But after downloading and running it Windows says it's not applicable for my system (sic!).

I checked, hang on tight..

KB4048958 has been replaced by KB4054519, which has been replaced by KB4056895...

Really Microsoft?

Installing these two updates did nothing.

Still The Microsoft iSCSI Target Server service could not open the local mount driver (WTLMDrv.sys). 3

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Did you find any solution ikrisstellem? 
    Sunday, August 12, 2018 9:36 PM