none
Remote Desktop missing from Remote Tab - Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Question

• When I click Configure Remote Desktop from the Server Manager the Remote Tab opens under System Properties. The problem is all I see is Remote Assistance and not the Remote Desktop portion (See Picture). Why is this missing, this is the only server out of 40+ servers that has this problem. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

(How it should look Below)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When this has been reported in the past it has been due to a problem with the producy key.  I recomend you re-enter the proper product key for this server and activate.  This is done in Control Panel -- System and Security -- System, click on Change product key, and follow the wizard.  I am not sure if you need to restart after activating for the Remote Desktop options to show up.

-TP

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When this has been reported in the past it has been due to a problem with the producy key.  I recomend you re-enter the proper product key for this server and activate.  This is done in Control Panel -- System and Security -- System, click on Change product key, and follow the wizard.  I am not sure if you need to restart after activating for the Remote Desktop options to show up.

-TP

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:15 PM
  • I am having the same issue, did re-entering your product key fix it for you?  I re-entered mine but still no Remote Desktop options on the remote tab.  I did not reboot however.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

I've the same problem. I've re-enterthe proper productkey and reboot but nothing change.

Yesterday, i've upgrade my server 2008r2 standard edition to entreprise edition like this :
    http://jamiebaldanza.org/2010/09/08/in-place-windows-server-2008-r2-standard-to-enterprise-upgrade/

Friday, August 3, 2012 3:27 PM
  • In our case, this problem was due to mismatch between product key and server version.  (problem description: "Remote Desktop" is missing from the Remote Tab in Computer Properties)

I had upgraded 2 servers with Windows 2008 R2 from Standard to Enterprise edition, and after a few weeks I could not RDP to these servers anymore.

The problem was solved be re-entering a correct product key for Windows, and re-activating Windows (+reboot).

Here's how to do it:

cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX     (to change the product key; replace XXX by your product key)
    cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ATO   (to re-activate Windows online)

• Proposed as answer by Jasonm304 Friday, May 9, 2014 9:26 AM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 12:44 PM
  • I know this may be late but I tried this but it didn't change the product key and the Remote Desktop didn't appear if you could reply I would be pleased
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

I solved same issue with re-enter license key and re-activated Windows. It's necessary boot.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

we had the same issue.

Re-enter the license key and re-activated Windows + reboot solved the issue.

thank you very much.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:57 PM
  • Yes.. after reactivate the issue has been resolved, thank you so much...
    Monday, November 23, 2015 8:21 PM