Can I backup to a flash drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way I can back up my current Windows 8.1 to a flash drive? For example, need to format my drive. 
    • Edited by Adam_920 Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:31 PM Wording
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If it is for a long-term plan then it is recommended to backup to a HDD.

If you need to format your system right now with no proper devices for backing up as a short-term option, personally I think it is OK to backup files to a flash drive.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:39 AM

All replies

• Based on my experience I recommended not to perform backup image to any other media except HDD

IF your PC OEM, most of OEM Manufactured offering to create backup recovery image during first setup, its supposed to launched by built in software inside your PC

If this PC not OEM, means you should have Windows 8.1 installation media

Monday, March 23, 2015 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

If it is for a long-term plan then it is recommended to backup to a HDD.

If you need to format your system right now with no proper devices for backing up as a short-term option, personally I think it is OK to backup files to a flash drive.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2015 7:39 AM