none
Windows Search Index and User Profile Disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have two RDS servers (A 2012 and a 2012R2) working with User profile disks and I'm getting what I think is an issue.

When a user logs on for first time and configures its outlook profile all is indexed, OK.

But when the user logs off there's an event saying "Windows Search Service indexed data for user 'domain\user' successfully removed in response to user profile deletion.", so I assume that when user logs off, the UPD is unmounted and then the RDS server eliminates their cached index due to a profile deletion.

Is there any option to not to having to rebuild the index every time the user logs into the server? maybe by storing the index data into their respective UPD? This is so annoying, because the index process needs to index an average of 6GB profile every time the users logs in, and the server performance gets impacted.

Any response will be appreciated.

Thank you

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi FilipMon,

We opened a support ticket with Microsoft and they said that this is the "by design" behavior, so I think there's nothing much to do, just hope that Microsoft will eventually fix it, but as they say that is by design I'm not confident.

Regards.

Friday, March 13, 2015 12:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Please try to delete the UPD of the current users from registry and can check the result.

Hkey_Local_machine\software\microsoft\windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    Locate the key(S-1-5...) that had the old profile (C:\users\username) and delete it.  Reboot

For more information regarding user profile disk you can check below article.
    Easier User Data Management with User Profile Disks in Windows Server 2012
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/11/13/easier-user-data-management-with-user-profile-disks-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 3, 2014 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help, but it didn't work.

The registry key is'n present, so I assume that when the user logs off the key is deleted.

Any other help you may provide?

Thank you.

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Has there ever been found a solution for this.. we are facing - same setup - the same problem.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hi FilipMon,

We opened a support ticket with Microsoft and they said that this is the "by design" behavior, so I think there's nothing much to do, just hope that Microsoft will eventually fix it, but as they say that is by design I'm not confident.

Regards.

Friday, March 13, 2015 12:27 AM
  • Does anyone know if Microsoft has a hotfix for this issue? We have a client that is also experiencing this same exact problem.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:24 PM
  • Microsoft said it was by design, so I don't think they will get a hotfix for that unfortunately.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:44 PM
  • X1 Search Software works great on RDS/Server 2012 R2 and is better than Outlook Search to begin with. No re-indexing on log-on involved. 

www.x1.com/products/x1_search/
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:42 PM