none
Setupcomplete.cmd with WDS ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

we have been using setupcomplete.cmd in the "sources\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts" folder of the Installation DVD to add unattended content to a Vista/W2K8 installation after setup completed. We now would like to move to WDS as quickly as possible without rewriting all our scripts. Is it somehow possible to use setupcomplete.cmd with a Vista/W2K8 installation from WDS ? If yes, into which folder do I have to copy the cmd on the WDS server so it gets used by Vista setup ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Alex

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

After you install the Windows Deployment Service server and add the install image, you can then put all the files required in the following directory so that when you deploy the install images these files will be copied to the client computers automatically.

RemoteInstall\Images\<ImageGroup>\<ImageName>\$OEM$\

Please note that the <ImageName> should be the same name as your install image.

In your scenario, I think you can put the setupcomplete.cmd in the adjusted path " RemoteInstall\Images\<ImageGroup>\<ImageName>\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts". Also, if you have any related files, you should put them in the proper folders.

In this way, the setupcomplete.cmd will be copied to the %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts directory. Windows Setup searches for the setupcomplete.cmd file in this directory and executes it.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

After you install the Windows Deployment Service server and add the install image, you can then put all the files required in the following directory so that when you deploy the install images these files will be copied to the client computers automatically.

RemoteInstall\Images\<ImageGroup>\<ImageName>\$OEM$\

Please note that the <ImageName> should be the same name as your install image.

In your scenario, I think you can put the setupcomplete.cmd in the adjusted path " RemoteInstall\Images\<ImageGroup>\<ImageName>\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts". Also, if you have any related files, you should put them in the proper folders.

In this way, the setupcomplete.cmd will be copied to the %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts directory. Windows Setup searches for the setupcomplete.cmd file in this directory and executes it.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Hi Chang Yin,

thanks for your reply. Seems to work now. One followup question:

When moving from a DVD based deyploment to a WDS based Vista deployment, where would you recommend to put additional stuff (applications etc.) that previously were on the DVD ? If I put this into the $OEM$ folder it has to be copied to the client which is slow. Isn´t there a place on the WDS server I can install from since it sort of replaces the DVD medium ?

Thanks for your help !

Alex

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Hello,

Well, you can put all these additional stuff into the install image so that the downloading will be much faster than putting them in the shared folder.

For example, you can mount this image to a folder using the ImageX with the option /RW, then copy all these files to the proper path in this folder. After that, unmount that image with the option /commit.

However, in this way you cannot change or add these files as easily as you do by using the shared folder.

For more details about how to use the ImageX, please refer to the "Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) User's Guide" help document included in the Windows AIK.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:43 PM
  • HI,

After moving SetupoComplete.cmd file to the specific location on WDS as mentioned above, do we have to call any parameter inside unattend XML file so it can run and execute that command? If we do, where would we call that and what exactly the path would be for the network share?

Can someone please answer this?

Thanks

Omar

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:03 AM
  • I've been using WDS to deploy my Windows DVD images for years now. The method mentioned above is close but they have missed a folder in their remarks.

You need the path to be like this

• \WDSRemoteInstalls\Images\<image group folder>\Install\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts\setupcomplete.cmd
    • Any files/folders in the "\$OEM$\$$\"  path gets copied to %WINDIR% folder
    • Subsequently, any files/folders placed in "\$OEM$\$1\" gets copied to the %SYSTEMDRIVE% folder

This is my structure for Windows 8.1

E:\WDSRemoteInstalls\Images\Windows 8.1 Pro x86-x64 Retail\Install\$OEM$\$$\Setup\scripts
        |-- \setupcomplete.cmd + other various *.vbs, *.bat, *.ps1 scripts
        |-- \web
             |--\wallpaper
                 |--\<custom_imagefile.jpg>

E:\WDSRemoteInstalls\Images\Windows 8.1 Pro x86-x64 Retail\Install\$OEM$\$1
        |-- \Temp
        |-- \Drivers
             |--\<sub_folders>

NOTE: Also have discovered that the setupcomplete.cmd does not fire off when using an OEM DVD media such as the Dell Windows 8.1. It worked in the previous Dell version Windows 8.0, but not in 8.1 which is why I must use the retail bits instead.

Hope this helps.

• Edited by TLJ91021 Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by zzmm200 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by zzmm200 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Thanks TLJ91021 for explaining this out. I got all that except what and where exactly I'll have to put in unattend xml file to execute it properly.

Could you give me a sample unattend or walk me through based on my files/folders structure and environment setup I've as explained above in my posts, so it works without any hiccups.

I spent a lot of time online and here trying to learn and figure out how scripts are executed over the network situated somewhere on the server. I'm glad that yours help me get what I've been looking for a long time.

Since you've a lot of experience in deploying images over WDS, I would take an opportunity to ask a question.

Currently, I've Server 2008 R2 with AD, DNS, DHCP and WDS roles on it. I'm going to get my hands on Windows server 2012 now and I would like to know if installing all those roles on server 2012 safe thing to do as far as performance or speed is concerned. I read some articles online where people suggest to not install all these roles on one server and divide them over for a reasons they know better.

If you think along the lines of all those people, could you then suggest me how should I install these roles and over how many servers? What is the setup would be like and any changes I would need to make or configure in order to make them all work if they will be sitting on different servers.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Your extensive reply is appreciated, it confuses me a bit though.
    You write "The method mentioned above is close but they have missed a folder in their remarks."
    Then you state how it should look like:

"\WDSRemoteInstalls\Images\<image group folder>\Install\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts\setupcomplete.cmd"

Shouldn't that be this?

"\WDSRemoteInstalls\Images\<image group folder>\<image name>\Install\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts\setupcomplete.cmd"

So with <image name> included?

edit: Ah I see, your image name is called 'Install'. So if my image group is called AcmeCorp and  the image file on disk is called install-(2).wim the folder structure should look like:

"\WDSRemoteInstalls\Images\AcmeCorp\install-(2)\$OEM$\$$\setup\scripts\setupcomplete.cmd"

Correct?

• Edited by zzmm200 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:38 PM