none
CentOS-based VM hangs if the VM is warm rebooted

Question

• 2 VMS with the following setup:

1. CentOS-based VM with custom kernel 3.12.43 and Hyper-V LIS modules running as Gen1 on Hyper-V 2012 R2.
    2. Original CentOS 6.6 with kernel 2.6.32 from a fresh installation. No configs whatsoever. 

The VMs boot fine. If you restart the OS (e.g. # reboot) it gets stuck just after displaying the grub entry that the system automatically selected. The cursor stays blinking. The only way to get the VM back is to Turn it off and then Turn it back on. 

I was reading that this could be something related with the IDE controller. I have already deleted the CD drive and I have no SCSI controllers in the VM.

Any ideas?

thanks

Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:43 PM

All replies

• Did you install LIS with the installer script or by directly loading the RPMs? It sounds like you have a conflict between the built-in and LIS kernel modules.

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:09 PM
  • VM with kernel 3.12 -->  I compiled the kernel enabling LIS support, so it got whatever version of LIS Microsoft has ported on this kernel version (which is longterm support at kernel.org)

VM with CentOS 6.6 --> this distro came with LIS support out of the box. We had the issues with it and tried upgrading the LIS to version 4.0 using the ./upgrade.sh script included in the ISO with the LIS modules. 

Thanks !

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:18 PM
  • You may have better results removing the LIS support that you compiled in and using the RPMs provided in the LIS 4.0 release, but without testing your custom kernel, I cannot make any guarantees.

Monday, July 27, 2015 6:16 PM
  • I even tried with a standard CentOS 6 (no modifications at all) and got the same results. Warm reboot results in the VM stuck when booting up. 

I tried another CentOS 6 but 64 bits and didn't have any problems. So it looks like Hyper-V doesn't like the 32 bits version of CentOS. 

Any ideas? 

Monday, July 27, 2015 6:24 PM
  • We test 32-bit CentOS 6 and do not encounter problems booting on Hyper-V unless there is a conflict in the kernel modules (LIS 4.0 installed at the same time as the built-in LIS). This is why the installer and updater removes previous versions of the LIS kernel modules before installing the latest versions.

When you upgrade the kernel, you also have to remove LIS and reinstall it after upgrading, as upgrades often reinstall the built-in versions of the drivers.

Monday, July 27, 2015 6:41 PM
  • Oh, I've already tried that without any luck  :(
    Monday, July 27, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Have you solved the problem? I still have a same problem with other 32-bits Linux distro (Ubuntu 14, Debian 6, RHEL) on Hyper-V G1 VMs.
    Monday, October 19, 2015 11:21 AM
  • I gave up... I was trying to bring an Endian Firewall VM onto Hyper-V but ended up using PFSense (much better and full HV support)
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:41 AM
  • We are tracking a 32-bit bug on Ubuntu and SLES, but that only applies to the most recent kernels.

We don't recommend Debian 6.

On RHEL are you using Linux Integration Services 4.0.11?

Thanks, --jrp

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:33 AM
  • Hi Josh.
    Can you tell me bug # (or url) of bug in Ubuntu bug tracker ?

Josh, you can help me with my problem?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ru-RU/74691cd5-5fb5-4670-bfa2-39d6e4dc3314/ubuntu-1404-32bit-on-hyperv-g1-vm?forum=linuxintegrationservices

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:04 AM
  • https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1495983 is the 43-bit installation bug on Ubuntu.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:48 AM