none
Indexing Service Not Able To Index Virtual Directories In IIS 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that for the Indexing Service that is in Longhorn there is no longer a WWW Server dropdown on the tracking tab of the properties for a given catalog.  It only is there is IIS 6 compatibility is turned on.  Is this feature going to be supported for IIS 7 only?  I also noticed that although I set it to ‘Default Web Site’ once I come back to the tab after saving it the field is empty

Even when IIS 6 compatibility is turned on there is nowhere that I can find in IIS 7 that let’s me designate that a given directory can be indexed. For reference in IIS 6 the ‘index this resource’ checkbox appears on the Virtual Directory tab for the properties of a given virtual directory.

Basically this means that our application’s help system that is using the Indexing Service does not work properly.

Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Harmon

SPECTRUM Human Resource Systems Corporation

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

Indexing service is deprecated and only provided as a short term compat item while we are straightening out the new search interation story. Indexing service has got no functional/adaptation changes in Vista Server 2008 and relies on the old config (metabase) emulation in IIS7.

All indexing config needs to be done in the indexing UI or via script as the IIS7 UI has been cleaned of all external references (like smtp/indexing).

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:42 PM