Windows 2012 Remote desktop session host server not detecting RD licensing server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a customer server which is Windows 2012. We installed RDS session host server role and configured it to use RD licensing server as per the https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833839?wa=wsignin1.0

After configuring, when I open RD license diagonser tool, it says, RD license server is not available. Also shows, credential not available. When I enter the credential by clicking, provide credentials, it does not get applied. I see no event logs related to RD service. However, I see the below event log which points to RD licensing server.

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <RD license server> using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID     273c (C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe).

Please help in fixing the issue.

Thanks,

Umesh

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just to be clear, RDSH uses dynamic ports above 1024 to communicate with RD licensing server.By allowing all of these ports in our firewall helped resolving the issue. Now our RD session host servers are able to communicate and get licenses from licensing server. Hope, this helps others who face similar situation.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

• Marked as answer by Umesh S K Friday, December 19, 2014 5:34 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

There might be a problem accessing the COM Service on a remote computer. To resolve this problem:
    •Ensure that the remote computer is online.
    •This problem may be the result of a firewall blocking the connection. For security, COM+ network access is not enabled by default. 
    •Check the system to determine whether the firewall is blocking the remote connection.

Also ake the following changes on your physical NIC.

Go to the NIC properties, click on advanced button, disable features that has the "Offload" or "RSS" wording in feature name.
    For examples, below is some of the features commonly seen in NIC's advanced properties:

- IPv4 Checksum Offload 
    - IPv6 Checksum Offload 
    - IPv4 Large Send Offload 
    - IPv6 Large Send Offload 
    - Receive Side Scaling 

Event ID 10009 — COM Remote Service Availability
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774368(WS.10).aspx

TCP Offloading/Chimney & RSS…What is it and should I disable it? http://blogs.technet.com/b/onthewire/archive/2014/01/21/tcp-offloading-chimney-amp-rss-what-is-it-and-should-i-disable-it.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Hi Dharmesh,

Current RD license server work fine for other RD session host servers. Other session host servers are able to communicate with this license server. But the problem is with our new session host servers. Is there any ports that needs to be opened between new RDS session host server and RD licensing server?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your comment.

You need following port for RDSH and RD License server.

Remote Desktop Session Host 
    o RD License Server Port RPC 
    o TCP 386|636: Active Directory communication 
    o TCP 5985: WMI and PowerShell Remoting for administration 

Remote Desktop License Server 
    o RD License Server Port RPC 
    o TCP 443: Communication over the internet to the Microsoft Clearing House 
    o TCP 5985: WMI and PowerShell Remoting for administration 
    o From a proxy standpoint, the regkey HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TermServLicensing\lrwiz\Params shows the Microsoft service that the RD LS communicates with.  e.g. clearinghouse.one.microsoft.com 

More information.
    Which ports are used by a RDS 2012 deployment?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16164.which-ports-are-used-by-a-rds-2012-deployment.aspx

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, November 24, 2014 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

The above ports are already opened in the firewall. Can you tell me if there is any way to test the connectivity between RD session host server and RD license server? like, port test from RD session host server to RD license server etc..

Note:

1)  Ping test works fine. Session host server is able to resolve RD license server name. I also tried using IP, but it still shows not connected. Please help.

2) I also applied the below hotfix, but not luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2916846

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:53 AM
  • Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your comment.

During your configuration, have you specified RD License server for RDSH to use?

You can also specify a license server for the RD Session Host server to use by applying the Group Policy under below path.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Licensing 
    Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers – Provide the FQDN of the license servers to use

Also this setting can be specified by below method.

To configure the license server on RDSH/RDVH:
    $obj = gwmi -namespace "Root/CIMV2/TerminalServices" Win32_TerminalServiceSetting
    $obj.SetSpecifiedLicenseServerList("License.contoso.com")
    Note “License” is the name of the License Server in the environment

To verify the license server configuration on RDSH/RDVH:
    $obj = gwmi -namespace "Root/CIMV2/TerminalServices" Win32_TerminalServiceSetting
    $obj.GetSpecifiedLicenseServerList()

More information.
    RD Licensing Configuration on Windows Server 2012
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2013/09/20/rd-licensing-configuration-on-windows-server-2012.aspx

In addition you can refer this article for reference.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Thursday, November 27, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

I have followed the steps given in those links. But no luck. It still shows Not connected.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Friday, November 28, 2014 3:25 PM
  • Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your comment.

Please try to install below Hotfix for further result.

No RDS license when you connect to an RDS farm in Windows Server 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2916846

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, December 1, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried with this hotfix. No luck. Any other options or ideas?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your comment. Sorry for late response.

Have you seen below mention error in your environment?
    EventID: 1130 - Source: TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager
    EventID: 1128 - Source: TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager

The RD Licensing grace period has expired and the service has not registered with a license server with installed licenses. A RD Licensing server is required for continuous operation. A Remote Desktop Session Host server can operate without a license server for 120 days after initial start up.

The solution was to delete the REG_BINARY in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\GracePeriod
    Only leaving the default. You must delete the key by taking admin rights. Please backup the key before you delete any key for safety purpose. After a reboot the server should be working again, license are now being used. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Hi Dharmesh,

It is a newly deployed server. I am not able to delete the above registry key as it is says I don't have permission to delete the key :(

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Hi Umesh,

You can delete that key by giving permissions.

Right click on Graceperiod then select Permisssion--Click Add-- Give select Full Control.

Note: Before deleting , take backup of registry by right click on registry and select export.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:54 PM
  • I am getting the above error message. I tried with  local admin account as well :(

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your comment.

Open the Permissions windows again and click on Advanced button instead, and click on the Owner tab and change the owner to your name\admin (which you are using), after that provide Full control over there please check below article.
    Take ownership & full control of registry keys

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 12, 2014 1:36 AM
  • Hi Dharmesh,

The above solution did not work. It still shows as "Not available". Also, logon credential window pops up even after providing required credential. Screenshot below.

Friday, December 12, 2014 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion? Is there a way to use specific port to fix the communication issue between RD session host and RD licensing server?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

The RD session host server started to communicate with RD licensing server after allowing all the ports between 1024 - 65535 in network firewall. However, it would have been better if there was a way to use specific port for communication between RD session host and RD licensing server instead of allowing all ports in firewall.

Thanks all for the help. Hopefully, Microsoft will have a look into this in future.

Regards,

Umesh.S.K

• Marked as answer by Umesh S K Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Umesh S K Friday, December 19, 2014 5:34 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

Just to be clear, RDSH uses dynamic ports above 1024 to communicate with RD licensing server.By allowing all of these ports in our firewall helped resolving the issue. Now our RD session host servers are able to communicate and get licenses from licensing server. Hope, this helps others who face similar situation.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

• Marked as answer by Umesh S K Friday, December 19, 2014 5:34 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 5:34 AM