none
SCSI device Detection RRS feed

• Question

• Hellow Everyone!
    It has been a while but this has me stumped.
    We have installed windows SBS server 2008 on an Intel 1U rack mount server, The only slot in this unit is a PCIe X16 slot.
    We connected a Quantum tape system (Superloaded 3) to an Adaptec 29320 card in the server PCI slot.
    I have enabled Multi LUN support on the SCSI card for ID 5 (Out tape system SCSI ID). Ran the SCSI BIOS and can see two devices ID 0 and ID 1( this should be the tape drive and the autoloader). Windows comes up but the only device in device manager is the tape drive, never sees the auto loaded. Have talked to Quantum and all is setup properly (unit is in Random mode and ID is OK the 29320 card is supported). Quantum tells me this should be a windows problem as the card does see two devices.
    Does anyone have any insite into this problem.
    Thanks very much
    Bob Burcham
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:28 PM

Answers

• even though the 29320 is supported it sounds like it's the card not communicating with the OS.
    i dont think it's an OS issue. there has to be a setting in there to make it work in the SCSI BIOS.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 27, 2009 3:25 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 1:58 PM

All replies

• even though the 29320 is supported it sounds like it's the card not communicating with the OS.
    i dont think it's an OS issue. there has to be a setting in there to make it work in the SCSI BIOS.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 27, 2009 3:25 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Hi Bob,

I've been struggling with this exact same problem for about 2 months now. I've tried two SCSI cards, one from LSI and the 29320 from Adaptec (which according to a "known issues" note from Quantum, as well as Dell tech support, should work), as well as the Back-up Exec 12.5 drivers. Everyone keeps saying the same things as Simon does below.  The answer, for me at least, is:

YES, multi-LUN is on in the Adaptec BIOS, it sees both LUNs.  YES, I have the latest firmware/BIOS on the card, the tape drive and the superloader.  YES, I have the latest Adaptec/Quantum drivers installed in 2008.  NO, 2008 still DOES NOT SEE THE AUTOLOADER!!

As much as I can figure, and from the bits and pieces I've put together off the web from people having similar issues is that somehow, 2008 and the drivers written for 2008 don't see the multi-LUN info passed on from the card.  Nobody seems willing or able to fix this, which is extremely frustrating.  The closest solution I found was a technote on technet saying "we know abou this issue.  to resolve it, install SCSIPort version of the HBA driver, instead of the StorPort version."  Problem is, as far as I can tell, Adaptec doesn't have a SCSIPort version of the 29320 drivers for x64 2008.

Anyone out there find a solution for this?  MICROSOFT, are you listening????
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:04 PM