none
Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS plymouth blank splash screen on Windows 10 Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed an Ubuntu 16.04.1 server edition to Windows 10 Hyper-V.

Just after installing I used this configuration on /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and updated grub by running update-grub2

In the next boot of the appliance I just get a blank screen forever, the prompt for login doesn't appear. I tried video=uvesafb and video=hyperv_fb with no consistent luck, rarely the splash screen appears briefly and the boot ends. By enabling plymouth:debug on kernel boot it seems that is something related with fb, but not sure where is the problem

Any help appreciated,

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Monday, August 22, 2016 3:10 PM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Miguel Angel Cabrebra Moya,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry, for more details about Ubuntu error you during configuration, you may need to contact the vendor first to make sure all your configuration are right.

Here is the related Ubuntu forum. You might take a look.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I reviewed that link and what I get is that I should disable splash, but I need it. Finally I make it work by using this configuration:

On /etc/default/grub add GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

Blacklist hyperv_fb module in /etc/modprobe.d/

My feeling is that there is a regression in Ubuntu 16.04 kernel because my old configuration worked in Ubuntu 14.04. Anyway I cannot confirm that the problem is with hyperv_fb kernel module.

Regards

Monday, August 22, 2016 11:53 AM
  • Did you install as a Generation 1 or Generation 2 VM? Ubuntu's grub has a bug where it doesn't recognize the lack of a PIT in Generation 2 (the less emulated hardware to start the faster the boot) and the timeout goes flying by, and you might miss seeing an error or options.

If you installed the server edition of Ubuntu, there is no graphical splash, just text (systemd's log, but you suppressed that with "quiet"). You should never need to invoke any special video driver unless you are trying to change from the default resolution settings (for example, adding "video=hyperv_fb:1920x1080").

If you installed the "ubuntu-desktop" package on top of the server version, you will get all of the UI (and a significantly higher memory demand) including graphical splashes with plymouth from the package plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo. You can update your plymouth alternatives to use plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text to do the text version instead if you wanted.

If you installed enough GUI to get a graphical login or splash, you may need to switch from the GUI console to the regular text one (Ctrl-Alt-F1) to switch to the first virtual console and see all the systemd startup scroll. If there was an error, you should see it there.

If the VM crashed there should be an event in the Windows event log.

By the way, as of 14.04.5 both 14.04 and 16.04 use the same kernel series, "lts-xenial". If your image is older you will need to upgrade the kernel manually. The current version is 4.4.0-34 which has Hyper-V drivers current with the 4.6 upstream kernel.

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:34 PM