none
SBS2003 as Guest OS

Question

•  Will Hyper-V support Small Business Server 2003 as a guest OS?    Virtual Server 2005 does. Will it Support SBS2008 when it comes out?  Specing out new service and would like to know if i can utilise all the coolness i'm hearing about HyperV

matt Sutton
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:15 AM

Answers

•    Since neither Hyper-V or SBS 2008 is officially released yet, there is not really any way to know for sure. I would expect that sbs 2003 an sbs 2008 would both be supported, but we will have to wait and see.

Does SBS 2003 work under Hyper-V? Yes it does.
    Bill
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Friday, June 27, 2008 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:12 AM

All replies

•    Since neither Hyper-V or SBS 2008 is officially released yet, there is not really any way to know for sure. I would expect that sbs 2003 an sbs 2008 would both be supported, but we will have to wait and see.

Does SBS 2003 work under Hyper-V? Yes it does.
    Bill
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Friday, June 27, 2008 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:12 AM
  • Hyper-V is now out.  There is a technet article that lists Windows Server 2003 Standard x86 & x64 SP2 as a supported guest operating system.  Since SBS 2003 R2 is built on top of Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1 and can be updated to SP2 during the installation, is this implied as being 'supported'.  It would be very helpful to have a clearly worded official answer on this.

Later it would likewise be valuable to know if the upcoming release of SBS 2008 will likewise be supported.
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 2:53 PM
  • I have run SBS2003 Std as a guest in Hyper-V. Premium (ISA 2004) doesn't work.

I am running SBS2008RC0 under Hyper-V with no problem. In fact, I will deploy this configuration when SBS goes RTM in November.

Peter
    Monday, August 04, 2008 3:00 AM
  •   

Hello,

We've definitely been contemplating running SBS on Hyper-V for our Small Business Server customers, or at least incorporating Hyper-V into Small Business environments where appropriate.  I could see it bringing significant levels of recoverability to a small business environment.  Anyone who has had to recover a small business environment from tape is well aware of how nice snapshot or virtual machine recovery would be for this type of customer.

We've run SBS 2003 on Hyper-V for testing so far and haven't had technical challenges.   The challenge is that there are a fair number of products in SBS and especially SBS 2008 that there are no "official" Hyper-V implementation guidence for yet.  I'll be interested to see a support statement from Microsoft on SBS 2003 / 2008 at some point.

Nathan Lasnoski

http://nathanlasnoski.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Monday, August 04, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I'm also interested in this. I want to upgrade my colocated server to run Windows Server 2008 Standard under my MSDN subscription for tinkering purposes, while running my existing SBS 2003 R2 license as a VM under Hyper-V.

I'm also interested to know how to apply SP2 "during installation" as someone suggested. Are you referring to slipstreaming? Or is there another option?

Cheers,

Dave

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:19 AM
  • I now have a sbs 2003 premium domain and need to replace the server. Looked at different options since the company cannot afford to upgrade all clients and machines. How would I run sbs 2003 premium in a virtual environment? Would the 2008 server be a domain member or just a standalone server and then install the sbs 2003 as a guest for all the Domain? What about ISA server. I have images of the sbs 2003 server made with storage craft small business server IT edition and they do work well.
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Hyper-V is now out.  There is a technet article that lists Windows Server 2003 Standard x86 & x64 SP2 as a supported guest operating system.  Since SBS 2003 R2 is built on top of Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1 and can be updated to SP2 during the installation, is this implied as being 'supported'.  It would be very helpful to have a clearly worded official answer on this.

Later it would likewise be valuable to know if the upcoming release of SBS 2008 will likewise be supported.

Do you still have the link from technet article? I would like to have a reference on that.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:30 AM
  • SBS 2003 isn't officially supported in Hyper-V (though it works fine). The Exchange component is the issue, as I understand it.

SBS 2008 is fully supported in Hyper-V, with the limitation that Backups won't have access to USB disks, obviously, and also no Fax modems in the virtual SBS.

Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
    • Proposed as answer by jjnew79 Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jjnew79 Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I know this is an old thread but I found these links and they seemed helpful. I am going through this now.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/693.consider-a-virtual-sbs-2003-to-sbs-2008-migration.aspx

Thanks, Jeff Newbill

Sunday, April 01, 2012 1:30 AM