none
Remote Desktop for Windows NT 4.0 work station

Question

• Hi All,

One of my staff is using a Old Windows NT 4.0 Workstation which is connected to the CNC machines in the pump shop. He needs to shift his office from the pump shop to our premises. He wants to access his NT 4.0 work station to have remote desktop connection. How to enable remote desktop on NT 4.0 workstation?.... One more issue with that machine is that it can ping the SBS server but the machine is not able to have internet access for some reson.

SBS takes care of the DNS and DHCP. The first priority is to give remote access to the NT 4.0 work station.

Thank You

Siva

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:30 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Genuine Advantage Offers - Eligibility Issues Forum)
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:35 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

thanks a lot for your support. I have made the remote connection by using a software called VNC. The software installs on NT 4.0 machine as well. I appreciate your patience to help me. thank you

Regards

Siva

Siva
    • Marked as answer by Siva.nid Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hello,

NT4 is not able to use Remote desktop, this started with Windows XP, choose VNC, PCAnywhere or any similar tools to connect to it.

Make sure the machine use the SBS server as DNS server on the NIC and is the SBS machine configured to use forwarders to the ISPs DNS server?

Please post an unedited ipconfig /all from both machines.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply....

1. My SBS is configured as a DNS Server and the windows NT 4.0 is in the same subnet as of the SBS Machine.

2. I tried to ping my server from the NT machine which works fine.

3. I pinged google.com it works on the command line

4. when I connect to the internet, It is not responding.

I will soon post the Ipconfig /all to help you resolve my problem.

Thanks

Siva

Siva
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:14 PM
  • When you say ping to Google.com is working that means, you are able to connect to internet but website is not opening, can you try with some different browser either Firefox,safari etc. Make sure forwarder is configured properly on DNS server.

You can use Teamviewer, webex or any other tool to connect remote system, Meinolf is right NT4 doesn't have RDP facility.

Regards  

Awinish Vishwakarma

MVP-Directory Services 

MY BLOG:  http://awinish.wordpress.com

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your reply... I checked the ip configurations, My NT 4.0 machine points to my SBS server for DNS. Other machines are working fine so DNS is not a problem. My NT 4.0 is in the same subnet as that of my SBS.

SBS Ip : 192.168.3.1

NT 4    : 192.168.3.80

I am not able to download any other browser coz of lack of internet connection. This machine dosent have a usb port as well.

Regards

Siva

Siva
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Hello,

please post the unedited ipconfig /all from both machines.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:46 PM
  • hi ,

Ip congif / all NT 4.0

DNS Server : 192.168.3.1

Node Type: Broadcast

Ip Routing Enabled : NO

Wins Proxy Enabled : NO

NetBios Resolution Uses DNS : NO

Ethernet Adapter :

DHCP Enabled : Yes

Ip Address : 192.168.3.80

Default Gateway: 192.168.3.254

DHCP Server: 192.168.3.1

I get this error mesage when I logon

A domain controller for your domain could not be contacted. You have been logged on using cached account information. Changes made to your profile since you last logged on may not be available.

Siva
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Hello,

"A domain controller for your domain could not be contacted. You have been logged on using cached account information. Changes made to your profile since you last logged on may not be available."

The message is because of connectivity problems, please post also the ipconfig /all from the SBS machine.

Is there any firewall running between the machines?

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Hi all,

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-C1-DE-72-E1-4C
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9080:800d:9dfe:8dea%10(Preferred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d934:c926:85bc:b0d5%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.1(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 253542878
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-1B-89-8D-1C-C1-DE-72-E1-4C

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::d934:c926:85bc:b0d5%10
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Regards

Siva

Siva
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Hello,

if you had mentioned earlier that you use Windows server 2008 SBS: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=942564

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your reply Meinolf. I am connected to my SBS 2008 now. I need to connect my NT 4 workstation from a remote place inside the LAN. NT 4.0 does not support Remote desktop. I tried Team Viewer, It is not working as well. What software do you reccommend to solve this issue?

Thanks

Siva

Siva
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi All,

thanks a lot for your support. I have made the remote connection by using a software called VNC. The software installs on NT 4.0 machine as well. I appreciate your patience to help me. thank you

Regards

Siva

Siva
    • Marked as answer by Siva.nid Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:34 AM