none
Server 2016 and Message Queuing remote management RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When attempting to manage MSMQ from a remote server (Computer Management) I am not seeing Message Queuing under Application and Services. Following this article it appears you only need administrator rights and Remote Registry enabled - Am I missing something?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771523(v=ws.11).aspx

Service is configured with AD Integration and everything appears fine locally. Thank you.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:51 PM

Answers

• Alright so we confirmed that it is possible and should work. Here is what I worked out needs to happen for this to work:

1. Remote Registry should be enabled on the remote computer with MSMQ

2. Windows Firewall needs configured to allow Remote Management through on the remote PC

3. The computer performing the remote management needs to have MSMQ installed

4. Physical firewalls need to allow Remote Management Ports

5. And finally, reboot your  PC/Computer after installing MSMQ even if it doesnt require you to!

I believe step 5 was my issue, also appears working now. Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Dubblies Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested in lab and there is no Message Queuing under Applications and Services on Windows Server 2016 at first as Message Queuing is not installed yet.

After it's installed, I can manage Message Queuing remotely from Operating Systems other than Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 systems.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:32 AM
  • I think you will have to install msmq on your local computer for it to pop-up in "remote" Computer management 
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Did you need the remote registry service started on the 2016 server for this to work? I just tested as well and I am not getting the same results. I can take screenshots if youd like - I can see MSMQ on my local computer (Windows 10) but remotely managing the 2016 server, MSMQ does not show up.
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:18 PM
  • This is the case - still not seeing it sadly. Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Alright so we confirmed that it is possible and should work. Here is what I worked out needs to happen for this to work:

1. Remote Registry should be enabled on the remote computer with MSMQ

2. Windows Firewall needs configured to allow Remote Management through on the remote PC

3. The computer performing the remote management needs to have MSMQ installed

4. Physical firewalls need to allow Remote Management Ports

5. And finally, reboot your  PC/Computer after installing MSMQ even if it doesnt require you to!

I believe step 5 was my issue, also appears working now. Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Dubblies Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:53 PM