none
How to transfer all printer configurations from server to client with GPO (TCP/IP protocol) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

our customers IT just shared printers with Shared protocol in Group Policy, but now customer told us that we cant use Shared protocol because in this case all prints move through their print server. They only want to share "local queues" from server. So I quess TCP/IP protocol in GPO is the way to go?

Problem with TCP/IP protocol in GPO compared to Shared protocol is that printer configurations (amount of printers trays, finisher, user authentication, black and white/color) doesnt transfer from server to clients. The way print queues is showing in client PCs is "factory default" so driver and printers ip is fine, but all other settings are on default even on server those settings have been configured.

Im not sure what "Action" customers IT is using in GPO. Would "Update" or "Replace" actions transfer all printer configurations with TCP/IP protocol in GPO?

Any ideas?

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

From the article Configure a TCP/IP Printer Item, we can see:

Replace
    Delete and recreate the TCP/IP printer connection. The net result of the Replace action overwrites all existing settings associated with the TCP/IP printer connection. If the TCP/IP printer connection does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new TCP/IP printer connection.

Update
    Modify a TCP/IP printer connection. The action differs from Replace in that it updates the settings defined within the preference item. All other settings remain as they were previously configured. If the TCP/IP printer connection does not exist, then the Update action creates a new TCP/IP printer connection.

Woulp you please tell us the following information in details?

1. According to "our customers IT just shared printers with Shared protocol in Group Policy", how do we configure it?

2. According to "They only want to share "local queues" from server. So I quess TCP/IP protocol in GPO is the way to go?", how are we going to configure it?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:35 AM
  • This is not my experience with printer drivers. My experience is whatever setting is set into the driver on the server it automatically pushed to any client that has that printer object defined.  If users want different settings for some specific reason then I delete the shared printer object off their machine and install the printer locally.

As far as "all prints moving through their print server" well just define the printer locally to stop that.

How many printers/workstations are involved?

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:44 AM
  • There will be 200 printers all over country and ALOT of workstations. So all manual work at end customers are no-go.

I am from company that delivers printers and customer has their own IT that configures print queues and GPO. As far as I have seen sharing printers with GPO using "Shared Protocol" it delivers everything as it is at server including printer configurations, but problem in this case is that customers doesnt want that prints travel through their print server. So sharing with "TCP/IP Protocol" from GPO would be way to go (prints travel straight from client to printer. Same way as it would be normal local print queue), BUT the problem is that all printer configurations are on factory default (= doesnt clone them from server).

Monday, October 21, 2019 11:16 AM
  • Hi,
    According to my knowledge, TCP/IP printer or local printer will apply the default printer configuration, and shared printer will apply the custom printer configuration on print server. Because we deploy TCP/IP printer or local printer, it actually use the  default printer configuration.

For the differences between three type printers, we can refer to the following case.

Tip: This answer contains the content of a third-party website. Microsoft makes no representations about the content of these websites. We provide this content only for your convenience.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, October 28, 2019 8:38 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this question has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.
    Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:28 AM