none
GPO - Software and Games - INSTALL OR RUN PROGRAM FROM YOUR MEDIA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are implementing a USB management solution, that the USB has a software can be running to insert a Password before start using it.

The software can be automatically running if INSTALL OR RUN PROGRAM FROM YOUR MEDIA is selected under Software and Game.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay

I tried to dig into GPO, but could not find any thing specifically related to this setting, I only found the following:

but these settings did not help me, as these settings only enables Autoplay. So this has the following effect:

the issue, the end-users need to manually click on these windows (1) and (2), to run the App, and most of them dont know how.

So is there a CMD, Registry, or GPO settings I can use to change this option for all users?

thanks,

لوحة التحكم \ جميع عناصر لوحة التحكم \ تشغيل تلقائي
    • Edited by OudMaster Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:56 AM

All replies

• Any help please?

Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:41 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

According to your description, we want to automatically install the software installer on USB via autoplay, right?

We will pop up a box during installation to let us choose the path to install, we want to skip this step by configuring Group Policy or changing the registry, right?

Here are some articles about the role of autoplay and how to configure autoplay:
    1.Using and Configuring AutoPlay

2.Policy CSP - Autoplay

3.How to enable or disable Windows AutoPlay

If it is convenient, can you provide your system version and your current configuration for auto play? In order to effectively solve your problem, we need to test it.

Tip: This answer contains the content of a third-party website. Microsoft makes no representations about the content of these websites. We provide this content only for your convenience.

Hope the information can be helpful and if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:25 AM
  • Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your reply.

According to your description, we want to automatically install the software installer on USB via autoplay, right?

Yes, the USB has a built-in software that when you plug it, the software will popup a window to ask the user to insert his\her password.

So it is not a normal software installation that require installation directory and so on. 
    !
    !
    !
    The only thing, when I select Install or run program from your media as described in my post, this software will run as intended. Otherwise no. 
    So what I am looking for is to enable Install or run program from your media   to all users instead of visiting them one by one, 
    GPO seems does not have an option to change this setting.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:32 PM
  • Hello,

Based on my research and testing, we can try to change the registry key in the GPO.

The specific operations are as follows:
    1.Create a new GPO

2.Right click on "Edit"

3.Find the registry according to the following path:User Configuration>Preferences>Windows Settings>Registry

4.Right click on "Registry" to create a new registry entry.Make the following settings:

Key Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlersDefaultSelection

Value date:MSAutoRun

5.run "gpupdate /force" in the cmd.

Hope the information can be helpful and if there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:04 AM