none
Server 2008 datacenter licensing/KMS on vmware ESX

Question

• Hi all, I would like to get some information from those net admins who has experiences on this topic.

To simplefy the scenario, let's assume I have 1 vmware ESX host with 1 cpu and 1 copy of 2008 datacenter license. without any additional physical servers, is it possible to set it up to run KMS + 11 instances of server 2008 in this 1 esx box?  I'm asking because KMS requires 5 physical boxes to start working.  under Microsoft's unlimited visualization right, I am allowed to run as many instances of the server on that 1 cpu.  however, this contradicts with the KMS license physical requirements.  help!

thank you all.

Monday, July 13, 2009 10:01 PM

Answers

• Hello Leo221,
    Install SP2 on the machine hosting the KMS.  SP2 allows the KMS host to count virtual machines as well as physical machines.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Sorry Tim,
    But you are not correct.
    Service pack 2 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 enables the ability of a KMS host machine to count virtual machines.  Windows Server R2 does also, but the service pack implemented the counting of virtual machines, so simply installing SP2 on the KMS host machine allows them to be counted.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hello Leo221,
    It should be in this docoument.  From the download center.

Volume Activation Changes for Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.  

Virtualization

With Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2, the KMS host treats computers running physical and virtual instances of Windows alike. In the previous implementation, virtual machines could be activated with KMS provided the required number of physical systems was present to meet the activation threshold. A KMS hosted on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 SP2 now counts virtual machines toward the activation threshold. The threshold may be made up of systems that are physical, virtual, or any combination of the two. The activation threshold itself is unchanged and remains at twenty-five (25) computers for Windows Vista. The activation threshold for Windows Server 2008 is five (5) computers. In order to take advantage of this improvement, only the KMS host running either on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 requires an upgrade to SP2 and not the KMS clients.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

you need the physical minimums of Vista or Windows server 2008. See also Tim Quans answer in:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/thread/1db5b305-510c-4800-ab1f-e0647cc8a877

choose the last one in the posting, there is also a good table about the minimums.

So in your case use the MAK (Multiple Activation Key).
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:24 PM
  • thank you for replying.

Is MAK unlimited?  Say I install 15 instances of the server on 1 cpu using 1 MAK over internet.  will it work for me?
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hello,

if the MAK is from the physical datacenter machine it shouldn't be any problem, because it is unlimited.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:55 PM
  • and also. this minimum physical count requirement doesn't work well with VM only environment. which is where the industry is headed. strange :-(
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Hello Leo221,
    Install SP2 on the machine hosting the KMS.  SP2 allows the KMS host to count virtual machines as well as physical machines.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Hello Leo221,

Not SP2 but R2.

For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, KMS counts virtual machine toward the activation threshold (i.e., the minimum number of client computers required for activation using KMS).

Tim Quan - MSFT
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Tim,

do you know the upgrade path from server 2008 datacenter edition to server 2008 R2 datacenter?  is it free or extra cost?  thank you.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Sorry Tim,
    But you are not correct.
    Service pack 2 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 enables the ability of a KMS host machine to count virtual machines.  Windows Server R2 does also, but the service pack implemented the counting of virtual machines, so simply installing SP2 on the KMS host machine allows them to be counted.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hi Darrell,

is this documented anywhere?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Hello Leo221,
    I reviewed what was supposed to be published a couple of months ago, but I haven't seen it published anywhere.  I did some searches and didn't see it.  I will do some more searching
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:45 PM
  • thanks again Darrell.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Hello Leo221,
    It should be in this docoument.  From the download center.

Volume Activation Changes for Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.  

Virtualization

With Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2, the KMS host treats computers running physical and virtual instances of Windows alike. In the previous implementation, virtual machines could be activated with KMS provided the required number of physical systems was present to meet the activation threshold. A KMS hosted on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 SP2 now counts virtual machines toward the activation threshold. The threshold may be made up of systems that are physical, virtual, or any combination of the two. The activation threshold itself is unchanged and remains at twenty-five (25) computers for Windows Vista. The activation threshold for Windows Server 2008 is five (5) computers. In order to take advantage of this improvement, only the KMS host running either on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 requires an upgrade to SP2 and not the KMS clients.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:32 PM
  • great! thank you Darrell.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:47 PM