none
Unable to connect from macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) to Windows 10 Education (1903) using Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.44 and 10.2.13 RRS feed

• Question

• Here are my Remote Desktop settings on Windows 10. I sign in with a Windows Hello PIN but I understand that Remote Desktop should be able to use my account password instead.

Here are my settings on Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.2.13 on High Sierra:

And here's the error message I get when trying to connect with Remote Desktop 10:

And my settings and the error message Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.44:

I have just switched from TeamViewer, which kept incorrectly detecting commercial use. So this is the first time I've used Microsoft Remote Desktop on my home network.

Sunday, July 14, 2019 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi @MotoX80 and @Eve Wang, and thanks for your contributions.

I've managed to get around the problem by deleting my user account.

My previous user account had been created during installation, with the university domain and my university username. I disconnected my 'work or school account', which caused the account to become inaccessible after restart. I then logged on on using a spare admin account, and connected my 'work or school account' through that account. Then I logged into my personal Microsoft account (while still in my spare admin account), and I'm now able to log in with Remote Desktop using my Microsoft account username and password, instead of my university username and password.

For the record, I'd already tried turning off NLA for Remote Access, and my university user account had automatically been added in the section highlighted by Eve. The event viewer logs mentioned by @MotoX80 showed no errors or warnings, but I turned on auditing for logon failures and found that the logon failure warning was something like 'incorrect username or bad password', even though the username and password were correct.

My assumption now is that my university blocks remote access for domain-joined computers through Group Policy.

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:41 AM

All replies

• Run eventvwr and check for errors in the TS logs in Applications and services Logs.

Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Operational

Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager/Operational

You may need to put .\    (dot slash) in front of your username to indicate the local machine. Ex:    .\myusername  

Sunday, July 14, 2019 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

1>
    On Windows system, please confirm that you had add appropriate user credential for remote desktop connection, via below operation:

Then, please open Computer Management(right click Start menu) on Windows system, open Local Users and Groups – Groups – Remote Desktop Users, double click to open it and make sure that the newly added user credential is displayed as member of this group.

2>
    On windows system, try to un-select below operation, save the change and try to connect again to check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hi @MotoX80 and @Eve Wang, and thanks for your contributions.

I've managed to get around the problem by deleting my user account.

My previous user account had been created during installation, with the university domain and my university username. I disconnected my 'work or school account', which caused the account to become inaccessible after restart. I then logged on on using a spare admin account, and connected my 'work or school account' through that account. Then I logged into my personal Microsoft account (while still in my spare admin account), and I'm now able to log in with Remote Desktop using my Microsoft account username and password, instead of my university username and password.

For the record, I'd already tried turning off NLA for Remote Access, and my university user account had automatically been added in the section highlighted by Eve. The event viewer logs mentioned by @MotoX80 showed no errors or warnings, but I turned on auditing for logon failures and found that the logon failure warning was something like 'incorrect username or bad password', even though the username and password were correct.

My assumption now is that my university blocks remote access for domain-joined computers through Group Policy.

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:06 AM