none
Installing Windows Server 2012 R2 on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 with RAID 1 configuration RRS feed

• Question

1. Hi,

I have Dell PowerEdge Rack Server R510 that have Dell PERC S300 RAID Adapter which is configured to RAID 1. The server runs Windows Server 2008 R2. Currently the OS corrupted I cannot do backup anymore using Windows Backup, I cannot remove or add server roles, I cannot install updates and some application software fail to accessed from domain users. Also I cannot edit DNS and DHCP information.

I tried to perform in place upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 but it keep showing Setup is restarting for three days now. So I have come to a decision to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on top of the existing one Windows Server 2008 R2.

The server has two shared Printers & one shared Scanner, File Server, AD DC, DNS, DHCP, and two Access Points. It serves more than 20 PCs mostly in wireless connectivity.

My Questions are:

1. Will I be able to access the RAID Drives from Windows Server 2012 R2 after installing it on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 without need a of reconfiguring the RAID Adapter?

2. On top accessing the RAID Drives, will my data be safe after the process that I won't lose them?

3. How will I be able to transfer DNS, DHCP, AD DC roles records from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 after the installation is successful?

4. With the new OS Server 2012 R2, will the client PCs pick Server 2012 R2 automatically or I'll be required to rejoin them to the domain.

5. What is the best way if I'm wrong with my decision?

Thank You!
    Friday, September 20, 2019 2:55 PM

All replies

• The only method to in-place upgrade is to run setup.exe from the root of the install media with windows, which is a very risky move.

To migrate active directory to a new server you'll want to (at least temporarily) use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2012, patch it fully, license it (evaluation will work fine for a temporary DC), join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can move on to rebuilding problematic one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:18 PM
  • I suggest that you should mount new VM or Server with Windows Server 2012 in parallel and migrate your roles and applications to the new server once completed uninstall 2008 server and install you Dell with new OS from scratch.

Vote or mark as answer if you think useful

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose Dave's answer as‘Answered’as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best Regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:56 AM