none
Windows Media Streaming Service fails to start with RPC Server is Unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• What I attempt to start the Windows Media Streaming Service I get a Error 1722:  The RPC Server is unavailable.  I have checked the RPC service and it is running.  I have tried disabled the firewall to rule that out and there was no effect.  Any ideas or help troubleshooting this error would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to the following link and follow the troubleshooting information to check the issue:

How IT Works: Troubleshooting RPC Errors

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.07.howitworks.aspx

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:25 AM
  • I have read the article and unfortunately it has not helped me resolve my issues.  Most of the troubleshooting steps in the article are based on servers that are domain controllers.  The server I am working with is in a home environment and is not an domain controller or part of an active directory.  I did verify the RPC locator service is running though as part of this article.

Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this error?

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Anyone have any ideas on how to get the Windows Server Media Streaming Service to start?

Sunday, December 2, 2012 11:16 PM
  • @Naomasa1 have you gotten Windows Server Media Streaming Service to work properly?

I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials running and have never gotten it work.  I continue to get errors that the wssmss service won't start.  I manually try to start it and it doesn't do anything.  I'm now seeing the following error message.

The Windows Server Media Streaming Service service failed to start due to the following error messages:

1. The wssmss service was unable to log on as .\MediaAdmin$ with the currently configured password due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

2. The service did not start due to a logon failure.

When I try to re-configure Media Service from the Dashboard, I don't even get an option.. I only see the General and Anywhere Access options.  Media isn't included.

Any help would be appreciated.

thx

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 2:11 AM