none
WSUS installation failed when connecting to MS SQL server (not remote)

Question

• I am having some issues getting the wsus adminstration console installation to finish installing.

My Microsoft SQL 2005 Standard (sp2) server is in the same subnet as my wsus server and both are in a DMZ. No Active Directory running.  I'd rather keep the SQL off of my WSUS server so we dont have to use another license and also that puts alot of constraints on the server memory. I have port 1433 TCP allowed on both firewalls of our database server and wsus (with the scope of "My Network Subnet only"). During the wsus administration console install, when I choose the database, when tested, the installation sees the MS SQL server just fine, and I proceed w/ the installation. I then get the error mentioned above in the logs. I guess I don't know what the issue is. Does any one have any ideas I could try?

Before, I did use the free 2005 express, but this wsus server will end up serving about 300 clients and I didnt think that it could handle them. I was able to get Wsus running with the express sql if that counts. BUt I'd really like to have it connected to one of our existing databases.

Like I said above, the installation fails, and here is the log:

2009-10-08 15:41:34  Error     MWUSSetup          CWatsonhelper::Init: Failed to load WER library. (Error 0x8007007E: The specified module could not be found.)
    2009-10-08 15:41:34  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::ReportFailure: Failed to initalize the CWatsonhelper.  This is expected on pre-Vista machines. (Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error)
    2009-10-08 15:41:34  Error     MWUSSetup          DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2009-10-08 15:41:50  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites...
    2009-10-08 15:41:50  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to determine if an higher version of WSUS is installed. Assuming it is not... (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-10-08 15:41:53  Success   MWUSSetup          No SQL instances found
    2009-10-08 15:42:01  Error     MWUSSetup          IsSqlServerRemote: getaddrinfo failed to get ip address for host issuetrak (Error 0x80072AF9: No such host is known.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:01  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to open service MSSQLSERVER (Error 0x80070424: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:01  Error     MWUSSetup          StartService failed (Error 0x80070424: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:01  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to start MSSQLSERVER service (Error 0x80070424: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:01  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to start SQL service for SQL instance issuetrak (Error 0x80070424: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:20  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing installation details
    2009-10-08 15:42:20  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing ASP.Net
    2009-10-08 15:42:38  Success   MWUSSetup          ASP.Net is installed successfully
    2009-10-08 15:42:38  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing WSUS...
    2009-10-08 15:42:39  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Unable to get INSTALL_LANGUAGE property, calculating it...
    2009-10-08 15:42:39  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully set propery of WSUS admin groups' full names
    2009-10-08 15:42:40  Error     CustomActions.Dll  SetSqlServerRelatedProperties: GetComputerObjectName failed to get the computer object name in SAM compatible format (Error 0x80070547: Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:40  Error     CustomActions.Dll  SetInstallProperties: Failed to set SQL instance related properties (Error 0x80070547: Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:40  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:40  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2009-10-08 15:42:40  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    Thank you in advance!
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• Wow.  Im not sure how to take your response, seemed kindof rude.  I was not trying to set up through a Remote SQL (to be assumed on a different LAN), therefore I did not read that section.

Thanks for your helpfulness earlier.

My apologies if I sounded rude, that was not my intent; however, I did want to stress what appeared to me (twice) to be a misunderstanding in the SQL licensing requirements for WSUS, and I was intrigued with your statement that you could not find the relevant documentation.

It now appears that the issue was with your understanding of the term "Remote SQL", which is defined in that section --- "WSUS 3.0 SP2 supports running a compatible version of SQL Server software on a computer that is separate from the computer on which the WSUS 3.0 SP2 application is running. The following requirements apply to a remote SQL installation:" --- but if you chose to not read the section, then certainly you would have had no way to know what the scenario entailed, or that you were actually attempting that type of deployment, or that Active Directory was a requirement.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• > My Microsoft SQL 2005 Standard (sp2) server is in the same subnet as my wsus server and both are in a DMZ. No Active Directory running. 

This is a fundamental defect in the deployment. WSUS using a front-end/back-end deployment is not a supported installation scenario in the absence of Active Directory. That is to say, Active Directory is *required* in order to deploy a front-end/back-end scenario.

Frankly, for a =DMZ= deployment, I'd suggest that you not worry about keeping the SQL off of the WSUS server, and IMO you should be using the Windows Internal Database, and not a separate installation of a full SQL Server product. I'm not sure what you mean by "...so we don't need to use another license...", but that statement doesn't make much sense to me, so I suspect you've misunderstood the licensing scenario in which you are working with these products. It matters not where the SQL Server is physically installed -- licensing to use the product is required.

As for the server memory... the hardware requirements are well documented, and unless you're trying to support tens of thousands of clients from this DMZ-based server, memory is really not an issue, regardless of whether you're using WID or a full SQL Server. Since you've indicated you're only supporting 300 clients -- then I'd say a single-core Pentium 4 machine with 2GB RAM is more than sufficient to support a client load of ~20 clients per hour (about 1 connection every 3 minutes). In fact, as far back as 2005, many organizations were successfully supporting up to 500 clients on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition with the MSDE2000 database, which has a maximum supported memory capacity of 2GB (a limitation of Web Edition) and a 1GB memory capacity of the MSDE2000 database service. Today the Windows Internal Database can be installed on Web Edition. The WID has no memory caps; is capable of using all installed memory -- which for Web Edition, of course, is still 2GB.

As far as your errors in the log -- those are caused because the back-end database server is not in the same domain as the front-end server.

Might I suggest reviewing Appendix B: Configure Remote SQL of the WSUS Deployment Guide, as well as the section Choose the Database Used for WSUS 3.0 SP2 before you pursue this deployment any further?

Friday, October 16, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Great, thank you for your helpful reply.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

When I said "so we dont need to use another license" what I meant was that we only have 5 uses for our license for our MS SQL 2005 product.  I didnt want to have to use up one of those just for my wsus server.

I read the documentation pretty thorough and didnt see that WSUS requires AD for back-end database deployment.  I may have missed that, but if I'm right that its not documented, that definitely would be a helpful point to note.

Thanks again.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:01 PM
  • When I said "so we dont need to use another license" what I meant was that we only have 5 uses for our license for our MS SQL 2005 product.  I didnt want to have to use up one of those just for my wsus server.

And that's what I meant by misunderstanding the licensing scenario. WSUS doesn't use a single-user license when connected to a back-end SQL Server; instead each and every WSUS *CLIENT* requires a SQL Client Access License. If you only have 5 SQL CALs, then your only option is to use the Windows Internal Database.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:31 PM
  • > I read the documentation pretty thorough and didnt see that WSUS requires AD for back-end database deployment. 

Well, shucks, in fact, it's documented in a couple of places!

In the Release Notes:

Remote SQL Limitations and Requirements

WSUS 3.0 SP2 supports running a compatible version of SQL Server software on a computer that is separate from the computer on which the WSUS 3.0 SP2 application is running. The following requirements apply to a remote SQL installation.

• You cannot use a server configured as a domain controller for the back end of the remote SQL pair.
    • You cannot run Terminal Services on the computer that will be the front-end server of a remote SQL installation.
    • Both the front-end computer and the back-end computer must be joined to an Active Directory domain. If the front end and back end computers are in different domains, establish a cross-domain trust between the domains before you run WSUS Setup.

In the Deployment Guide [Appendix B: Configure Remote SQL]:

<exactly the same text as cited above from the Release Notes>

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Wow.  Im not sure how to take your response, seemed kindof rude.  I was not trying to set up through a Remote SQL (to be assumed on a different LAN), therefore I did not read that section.

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:59 PM

My apologies if I sounded rude, that was not my intent; however, I did want to stress what appeared to me (twice) to be a misunderstanding in the SQL licensing requirements for WSUS, and I was intrigued with your statement that you could not find the relevant documentation.

It now appears that the issue was with your understanding of the term "Remote SQL", which is defined in that section --- "WSUS 3.0 SP2 supports running a compatible version of SQL Server software on a computer that is separate from the computer on which the WSUS 3.0 SP2 application is running. The following requirements apply to a remote SQL installation:" --- but if you chose to not read the section, then certainly you would have had no way to know what the scenario entailed, or that you were actually attempting that type of deployment, or that Active Directory was a requirement.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 11:17 PM