DFS Replication Service Stops and Starts Communication with Partner several times a minute (Event ID 5014 - Error 1816) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to sychronize files between 2 servers.  One server is Windows 2003 R2 with all DFSR hotfixes applied and the other is Windows 2008 R2.  I am receiving event log messages several times a minute on the Windows 2008 R2 box stating that communication is stopping and starting between the partner.

-----------

(Recieved 3:14:12 PM)

Event ID: 5014

The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner <SERVER2003> for replication group Department Share Group 2 due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically.

Additional Information:

Error: 1816 (Not enough quota is available to process this command.)

Connection ID: DF6E848A-0540-4BA4-A64A-BFA845C47E01

Replication Group ID: F8B39232-A955-4509-83CC-F1C3BE7AF6FC

----------

(Recieved 3:14:15 PM)

Event ID: 5004

The DFS Replication service successfully established an inbound connection with partner <Server2003> for replication group Department Share Group 2.

Additional Information:

Connection Address Used: <FQDN of Server2003>

Connection ID: DF6E848A-0540-4BA4-A64A-BFA845C47E01

Replication Group ID: F8B39232-A955-4509-83CC-F1C3BE7AF6FC

---------

I have search through technet looking for Error 1816 as stated but I am  coming across most people having the 1726 Error which is not the same for me. 

I realize that it is stating that there is not enough quota available to process this command.  I am assuming this means quota staging area?  If this is truly the cause, are there any suggestions on staging space for a replication group with multiple replicated folder groups?

John K. Boslooper Windows Server Administrator UT Dallas
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:54 PM

Answers

• Let's focus on staging folder size first. Generally staging folder need to larger than the largest file in replication folders. However as for initial replication, you can set a much larger of size staging folder. Change the setting, applied to all replication targets and see if same error still exists.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Would this KB article help you?

The performance of DFS Replication in Windows Server 2008 is slower than expected on a WAN connection, and no error message is logged in the DFS Replication log

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976442/EN-US

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician
    MCITP: Server & Enterprise Administrator
    Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant
    Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    My Blog
    Contact me
    If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Let's focus on staging folder size first. Generally staging folder need to larger than the largest file in replication folders. However as for initial replication, you can set a much larger of size staging folder. Change the setting, applied to all replication targets and see if same error still exists.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:17 AM
  • I have re-calculated the staging areas using the suggestions found in the article found at:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2010/03/31/tuning-replication-performance-in-dfsr-especially-on-win2008-r2.aspx

The errors have stopped for now.  My only problem is that  I have limited disk space for staging areas so I had to make them the absolutel minimum.  Thanks for your responses.  If I have any further issues, I'll make sure to repost. 

-John

John K. Boslooper Windows Server Administrator UT Dallas
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:20 PM