none
2012 R2 Essential Role on existing domain - Client Connector RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We just upgraded a network to a Server 2012 R2 domain and joined 8.1 Enterprise desktops. To allow for easy remote access we've installed the "essential role" on the server.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you want to use the "Essential" features, computers should be domain joined using the "Connect wizard". Right now, when logging in to RWA, no devices are available.

Since all computers are already joined, I'd like to know if it's possible to use the Remote Web Access, without using the connector wizard. Otherwise, we should unjoin and rejoin them all by hand.. I'm sure MS has thought of a way to install the connector for situations where the desktops were already joined.

Thanks!

• Edited by Dennis Feiken Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:22 PM Typo
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We just upgraded a network to a Server 2012 R2 domain and joined 8.1 Enterprise desktops. To allow for easy remote access we've installed the "essential role" on the server.

Unfortunately, it seems that if you want to use the "Essential" features, computers should be domain joined using the "Connect wizard". Right now, when logging in to RWA, no devices are available.

Since all computers are already joined, I'd like to know if it's possible to use the Remote Web Access, without using the connector wizard. Otherwise, we should unjoin and rejoin them all by hand.. I'm sure MS has thought of a way to install the connector for situations where the desktops were already joined.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that I understand the problem exactly. I have an existing AD domain to which I added a 2012 R2 server as a member server, to which I added the Essentials role, and I'm able to use the Connect Wizard to register my domain-joined workstations with the server running the Essentials role, and all functionality, including RWA work just fine.

It sounds like you want the Essentials functionality on your domain-joined workstations without running the Connect Wizard and that just isn't possible, however, there should be no problem running the Connect Wizard on domain-joined workstations.

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks!

I'm not sure that I understand the problem exactly. I have an existing AD domain to which I added a 2012 R2 server as a member server, to which I added the Essentials role, and I'm able to use the Connect Wizard to register my domain-joined workstations with the server running the Essentials role, and all functionality, including RWA work just fine.

It sounds like you want the Essentials functionality on your domain-joined workstations without running the Connect Wizard and that just isn't possible, however, there should be no problem running the Connect Wizard on domain-joined workstations.

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:35 AM
  • sadly no easy way out

essentials is far from ready in my opinion

the problem is that it is not smart enough to figure out everyone's particular shop

Doesn't answer the OP's question and doesn't even make any real sense.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 9:36 AM
  • I think the problem is that you can't readily rejoin the domain. For example, I added the Essentials Experience to a domain controller and can't readily the connection option.

I don't run as admin on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I run the computerconnector tool.

I get prompted for an administrator account.

I run through the install windows server connector program.  Click on the "I have read and accept the license terms'

The connector process runs, I get prompted with 'type your new network user name and password'.  I use my normal domain credential.  I get a warning about 'cannot connect this computer to the network', 'This computer cannot be connected to the server using the user name and password credentials provided.  This may be because an existing computer account having name "XXX<machinename>XXX" was previously created using a different set of credentials.  Rename this computer and then try to connect this computer to the server again, or contact your administrator to remove any conflicting account".

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:12 PM