none
Backup Failed error code: 0x80070017

Question

• Every time I try to back up my files it says backup failed, error code 0x80070017 (cyclic redundancy check).  Anyone know how to fix this?
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:54 AM

Answers

• I ran a disk check on drive C and it repaired problems with disk.  The backup worked fine after that.
    • Marked as answer by Christine Fok Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:08 AM
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:05 AM

All replies

• sorry for the inconvenience.

if you are doing file backup - please send your %windir%\logs\windowsbackup\*etl files

if you are doing complete pc backup - please send your %windir%\logs\completepc\*etl files.

do explain the scenario in steps by step and send a mail to sbaid-nospam@microsoft.com (pls use only the highlighted portion in the email address. that is to avoid spam)

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:58 AM
  • I ran a disk check on drive C and it repaired problems with disk.  The backup worked fine after that.
    • Marked as answer by Christine Fok Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:08 AM
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:05 AM
  •  Sushil, my daughter is getting the same error 0x80070017 when she tries to backup.  She has gotten the message on three attempts, and it starts after she puts in the second DVD.  She even bought brand new DVD-RW's and still has the problem.  May I have her email you her logs to see if you can determine the problem/solution.  If so, please respond to me so I can walk her through it.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:40 PM
  • uhav2bkidding said:

Sushil, my daughter is getting the same error 0x80070017 when she tries to backup.  She has gotten the message on three attempts, and it starts after she puts in the second DVD.  She even bought brand new DVD-RW's and still has the problem.  May I have her email you her logs to see if you can determine the problem/solution.  If so, please respond to me so I can walk her through it.

CRC errors are usually caused by physical problems with a disk. I recommend that you copy any important data to another disk and then run "chkdsk d: /r" (where "d:" is the is the drive letter of the hard drive you are trying to back up). This will scan the file structure and will scan the surface of the hard drive and "fix" physical errors.

Myron Johnson
    RTA Information Technology
    Tempe, AZ
    • Proposed as answer by Nico LD Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

I cannot even run the chkdsk d: /r command.  The window pops up for a millisecond and I cannot even see progress.

How would I go about running this command? command prompt?

Thanks,
    Marc
    Marc
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Did you open a "Command Prompt" window first? If you try to run Chkdsk from the "Run" box in Windows, it'll just pop up and then disappear.

BTW, when I said that "Chkdsk d: /r" will "Fix" any problems, it's only temporary. Don't trust it. More often than not, more disk problems will arise. If you have a bad sector on a hard drive, replace the hard drive ASAP.

Myron Johnson
    RTA Information Technology
    Tempe, AZ
    Friday, March 06, 2009 12:38 AM
  • steps to start elevated command prompt and run chkdsk:

Click the Start button , type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and click Run as administrator . If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue .

At the command prompt, type Chkdsk /R X: (where X: is the Drive Letter for the volume you want to check), and then press ENTER.

Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk next time that the system restarts.

Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

Note During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors and then starts.

After the computer has restarted, repeat the process for the other volume and then rerun the backup operation.

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Friday, March 06, 2009 5:52 AM
  • i have the exact same problem should i send these logs to your mail?
    for those who want the truth revealed open their hearts and secrets unseal from now until its now again from now which the memories end for those who are now in this house only truth will be heard from their mouths
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:39 AM
  • does running chkdsk as mentioned above not help?
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 4:24 AM
  • it replaced some bad files as i was watching it work, but after the pc rebooted i began the backup again and it failed again giving me "this error code 0x80070017 (cyclic redundancy check)"

for those who want the truth revealed open their hearts and secrets unseal from now until its now again from now which the memories end for those who are now in this house only truth will be heard from their mouths
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:23 AM
  • can you please run the above command on all the volumes that are being backed up and also the backup target volume? and then, attempt to ran backup.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:32 AM
  • This worked for me.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:06 PM