none
Windows server 2003 R2 Std and Firewire IEEE1394b support / speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recentrly upgraded a windows server from 2000 to 2003 R2 std which had an external Lacie Bigger Disk Attatched via a Firewire (Fireboard-800) PCI card. Since the upgrade the time taken to bakup files (a simple file copy ) to the external drive has increased from 7 hours to 17 hours a rather significant increase.

Does anyone know or could point me to any reasons for this? Does 2003 R2 std support Firewire 800 IEEE 1394b speeds? I have seen posts and a hotfix relating to Windows XP SP2 where by default the speed was stepped down to s100 rather than s400 or s800. But i cannot find any information or situations where this has happened on server 2003. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Kind Regards,

C Welbourne. 
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi welbourne,

thank you for posting in windows forums,

Its difficult for us to suggest or point to the exact module which is causing the issue because your problem requires hardware setup which its difficult have here.

All that windows 2003 R2 / windows server operating system uses is the below files and protocols

SMB protocol for file transfer using the redirectors ( server  / workstation ) , so the communication invloves hardware as well such as

NIC , Lacie Bigger Disk and the Firewire-800 PCI card.

The issue might be related with above files , please perform

a) windows update so that the file versions are of latest binaries

b) make sure you disable AV and check the performance

c) make sure the disk has the latest drivers and check the performance.

sainath !analyze
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:12 AM