none
RDS 2012 Temporary Profiles Random RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

A client of ours has two RDS 2012 servers and one Broker. Loadbalancer works fine. But random users get temporary profiles.

The event logs has the following errors:

Windows cannot copy file \\?\UNC\SERVER01-01\TSProfiles$\fsmith.COMPANY01.V2\AppData\ to location \\?\C:\Users\fsmith\AppData\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Windows cannot copy file \\?\UNC\SERVER01-01\TSProfiles$\fsmith.COMPANY01.V2\Downloads\ to location \\?\C:\Users\fsmith\Downloads\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Windows cannot copy file \\?\UNC\SERVER01-01\TSProfiles$\fsmith.COMPANY01.V2\Favorites\ to location \\?\C:\Users\fsmith\Favorites\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

It ends with the error:

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

I cannot find why it does this. The next time the user is able to login just fine but then another user has this problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards,

Jim-Roy

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Are you dealing with Thin client in your environment?

Here initially suggest you to check your GPOs to ensure nothing is setup for permission related issue.
    1. Computer configuration > policies > administrative templates > system > user profiles

2. Computer configuration > policies > administrative templates > windows components > remote desktop services > remote desktop session host > profiles

Also please note that you are not detecting any slow link issue. In addition to this, please check the registry key as follow steps. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Log on to the system by using an administrative user account other than the user account that is experiencing the problem.
    2. Back up all data in the current user's profile folder if the profile folder still exists, and then delete the profile folder. By default, the profile resides in the following location:
        %SystemDrive%\Users\UserName

3.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
       If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

4. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    5. Under the ProfileList subkey, delete the subkey that is named SID.bak

Note SID is a placeholder for the security identifier (SID) of the user account that is experiencing the problem. The SID.bak subkey should contain a ProfileImagePath registry entry that points to the original profile folder of the user account that is experiencing the problem.

6. Exit Registry Editor.
    7. Log off the system.

Log on to the system again. Try above steps  and let us know the result.

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Friday, April 18, 2014 3:02 AM
  • We wil give it a try and I let you know.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:24 AM
  • Hi Dharmesh,

Thank you for your reply

The client has a mix of Windows XP Home (we will replace those)  and Windows 7 Home. The users login on the computers with there username and password which is identically on the terminal server. The Home edition are note connected to the AD but as a workgroup.

In the GPO I have the following settings enabled:

In the UserProfiles I have two settings enabled

- Add the administrators security group to roaming user profiles

- Delete Cached copies of roaming profiles

Under Remote Desktop profiles under the Profiles I have enabled

- Roaming path

In the registry I have no bak files under the profile list

In the registry of a temp user I see the following

- Central Profile points to the correct path

- ProfileLoadTimeHigh and Low is 0

- Refcount = 1

- Stat = 0x00000a14 (2580)

The event viewer shows

Windows cannot copy file \\?\UNC\SERVER01-01\TSProfiles$\user1.COMPANY01.V2\AppData\ to location \\?\C:\Users\Sgrimmer\User1\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

This is for multiple folder example

Windows cannot copy file \\?\UNC\SERVER01-01\TSProfiles$\User1.COMPANY01.V2\Desktop\ to location \\?\C:\Users\User1\Desktop\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

I cannot figure out which process is locking this process. When we logoff the user and wait for a few seconds and login again then sometimes they get the correct profile.

If you have any idea let me know.

Kind Regards,

Jim-Roy

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comment.

Sorry for late response. 

Here sorry to inform you that windows 7 home can’t act for remote desktop functionality as it’s not available. For remote desktop you need professional\enterprise or ultimate version. Please check beneath thread.
    Does Windows 7 Home version have remote desktop function
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/does-windows-7-home-version-have-remote-desktop/4894e698-b0f6-4df9-a10c-2eeb17ab987a

In addition for RDS roaming user profile, you can check below article for further troubleshooting.
    User Profiles on Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/06/02/user-profiles-on-windows-server-2008-r2-remote-desktop-services.aspx?Redirected=true

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Monday, May 5, 2014 4:08 AM