none
WID - Error getting instance ID from name

Question

Roles: AD DS (secondary DC), DHCP, DNS, WDS

We're having trouble starting the Windows Internal Database on one of our servers, which I believe is causing problems on our AD FS server too. 

When trying to start the WID service the event log shows: 

Application popup: SQL Server : Your SQL Server installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (Error getting instance ID from name.).   Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem

I've tried the following:

• Checked registry keys for instance names
    • Checked service account (already set to Local System account)
    • A reboot following any pending updates

There doesn't seem to be much advise surround this error and WID, and I've looked at the advice of threads relating to this error in other contexts.

Any advice or solutions would be appreciated.

Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to confirm with you if there is SQL server which has been installed on the system? 

If possible, we can try to re-install Windows Internal Database(Server Manager – Add roles and features – Start the remove roles and features wizard – Features section, unselect WID) and re-name C:\Windows\WID folder, re-start system and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, April 22, 2019 1:07 AM