WDS - When to use different install and boot images.... RRS feed

• Question

• HI folks.  new to WDS.  I'm trying to find out why I would need different install and boot images.  Do i need different ones for x86 and x64?  A little confused.  Thanks.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We need to install a system in a WinPE environment. OS setup files are in install.wim files and boot.wim files provides WinPE environments.

Therefore, if you would like to deploy different OSes, you need to use different install.wim. For example, if you would like to deploy Windows XP and Windows Vista using WDS, you must have at least two install.wim files – Windows XP install.wim and Windows Vista install.wim. And if you would like to deploy a 32bit system, you must have a 32bit install.wim file and if you would like to deploy a 64bit system, you must have a 64bit install.wim file.

Regarding boot.wim, you must use 64bit boot.wim to deploy 64bit install.wim. However, you can use 32bit boot.wim to deploy both 32bit and 64bit install.wim. And you can use one boot.wim to deploy multiple install.wim files.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We need to install a system in a WinPE environment. OS setup files are in install.wim files and boot.wim files provides WinPE environments.

Therefore, if you would like to deploy different OSes, you need to use different install.wim. For example, if you would like to deploy Windows XP and Windows Vista using WDS, you must have at least two install.wim files – Windows XP install.wim and Windows Vista install.wim. And if you would like to deploy a 32bit system, you must have a 32bit install.wim file and if you would like to deploy a 64bit system, you must have a 64bit install.wim file.

Regarding boot.wim, you must use 64bit boot.wim to deploy 64bit install.wim. However, you can use 32bit boot.wim to deploy both 32bit and 64bit install.wim. And you can use one boot.wim to deploy multiple install.wim files.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Okay so you're saying the best thing to do would just be to use a 32bit boot image.  That will cover everything as far as 32bit and 64bit images are concerned.

Secondly you are saying that I would need a different install image for every OS which makes complete sense to me.  So the 32 bit boot image will allow me to install both 32bit and 64bit install images?
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

You can use a Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) 32bit boot.wim file to deploy Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 32bit/64bit.

You can use a Windows Server 2008 R2 32bit boot.wim file to deploy Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 32bit/64bit

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, February 1, 2010 5:24 AM
  • There is no Windows Server 2008 R2 32 bit version.   R2 only comes in 64bit.   You'll need Win 2008 SP2 32bit.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:28 PM