Could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local computer (Server 2008 - 64bit w/ Exchange 2007)

Question

• Recently I had to reload our Server 2008 (also our Exchange 2007 Server) from Tape Backup.  Since then, I have problems with the COM+ services, specifically the COM+ System Application service, starting.  I receive the following error:

Windows could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I have done research and they all point to Server 2003 fixes where you rename the clbcatq.dll file and delete a registry key and go about reinstalling the COM+ windows components.  I am at a loss when attempting to do this on server 2008.  For one, I am unable to rename or delete the clbcatq.dll file (%WINDIR%\system32\clbcatq.dll) to ~clbcatq.dll.  Permission denied errors.  I have tried this in safe mode, as the local system administrator, and as the domain administrator.

I am also unable to find where I can add/remove windows components, specifically COM+ in server 2008.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers