none
Hyper-V Import Failed RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping somebody can help me with this.  My current setup is like this:

Server A - Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (64-bit), Hyper-V with 4 VM's (All Server 2008 R2)

Server B - Windows Server 2008 SP2 Enterprise (64-bit), Hyper-V with 1 VM (Server 08 SP2 as well)

I am trying to export the VM's from Server A and import them in Server B.  So far, it has failed every time.  My process is like this:

1. Export the VM from Server A onto the local hard drive
    2. Once the Export is complete, copy the exported folder to Server B
    3. Attempt to import on Server-B

I can successfully export the 1 VM on Server B and import it back into Server B. I can also successfully export a VM from Server A and import it back to Server A.  I just can't go between the two servers.  I have also tried exporting the VM and changing the destination to Server-B (in case copying the exported VM was having an issue) and received the same results.

The error i receive is "Failed to import the virtual machine from import directory"  It doesn't give me any additional information.  The event viewer shows event ID 18080.  I have tried exporting and importing from the hyper-v manager in both servers, but with no success. 

I've been working at this for a day now with no success.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:09 PM

Answers

• you can do one thing delete all the snap shot and copy only the vhd from the server.with server 2008 create new virtual machine and attached a vhd.(before deleting vm pls make sure to export the vm a recovery purpose)
    Darshana Jayathilake
    • Marked as answer by JoeyAx Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:02 PM

All replies

• If you drill deeper into Event Viewer there is a Hyper-V section of loges, there should be more / greater detail under there.

Also, where are you copying the folder to on the new server?

It needs to be above the root and in a folder where the system has permissions.  It is the system that must have full control of the folder and all files to be able to import properly.

Also, have you tried making sure to reset the permissions on the imported folder after copying and seeing if it is blocked since it came for a remote system.

Thre are also cases where you get informational type import fails - this is frequently with virutal networks and simply requires a fixup.

Another issue involves snapshots that were taken when the VM was running - this comes into play when the processors are different, or the revisions of Hyper-V are different.

There is this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd581916(WS.10).aspx

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:52 PM
  • When i drill deeper in event viewer under Hyper-V VMMS, here is what i get. 

"The description for Event ID 18080 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event."

Not sure if that is an indication of my problem or not. 

I copied the folder to C:\.  So my folder is C:\"Exported Virtual Machine Here"  I've given the system full control, then just for good measure, gave everybody full control. 

The machine has no snapshots.  I've followed the instructions on that link and still no-go. 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:05 PM
  • try moving your folder out from C:\ as default Server 2008 behavior is to block access to the root and first folder level of the system volume, as this is reserved for the OS.

Try putting the folder under C:\Users\Public\ - force the security settings to reset on the folder and try again.

Also, make sure the VMMS (Virtual Machine Management Service) is running.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:36 PM
  • when youre importing the virtual machine only select the parent folder

ex

exported virtual machine folder put in to the c:\vm1

when im importing the vm i have to select the folder vm1 only.dont go child folders.

just select folder and click next.other wise you can create new virtual machine and add the vhd

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2008/08/26/hyper-v-export-import-part-1.aspx

this link may help you

Darshana Jayathilake
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:36 PM
  • I moved the exported folder to C:\Users\Public, and reset the security settings on that folder and I still receive an error. 

I also make sure to select the parent folder while i am importing my VM.  The VMMS service is running.  I even restarted the service and tried the import again with no luck. 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:13 PM
  • What option are you checking when you import?

To copy or to use the existing?

I frequently get errors attempting to use the existing GUIDs and end up doing the copy option.

Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I am using the copy option to import the VM. 

If i'm on Server-A, and using Hyper-V Manager i connect to Server B, i get the option to copy or use existing.

If i'm on Server-B using the Hyper-V Manager on Server B, it just presents me with an import box and a file path.  It doesn't give me the option to specify copy or move.  There is a check box that states "Reuse old virtual machine ID's".  I don't place a check in that box.  That would mean i have two different versions of Hyper-V manager (Since one is server 08 SP2, and one is Server 08 R2) correct?  Would that have anything to do with why this process isn't working?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Server 2008 R2 should be able to import an Exported VM from Server 2008 R2 or from Server 2008 (any SP).

Server 2008 (any SP) will only be able to Import a VM from an equal or older revision of 2008, not from 2008 R2.

You should be able to export from an older revision and import to a newer revision without problems.  Going backwards will have issues.

Also, if the VMs include snapshots that were taken when the VMs were running - you should be getting an information warning about deleting saved states when moving between revisions.

Also, for Import wiht the GUI, you need to be local to the Hyper-V Server When Importing or Exporting.  Both the Import and Export happen in the local system context, even though the GUI is running in your user security context.

It is a bit confusing, but can cause issues where you (as the logged on user) can access things or see mapped drives, etc, that the "local system" cannot.

Also, try using the non-copy option.

Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:00 PM
  • I think that's the answer to my question.  I'm trying to export from Server 2008 R2 and import on Server 2008 SP2. 

The VM's that i'm trying to move do not have snapshots, so i haven't received any messages about them. 

I do import from the GUI on the local machine.  I just noticed the different options between both of them and realized the differences in versions. 

When i try the non-copy option, it tells me that i cannot reuse the machine ID's and they need to be generated by using the copy options.  Which is weird because even if i move (not copy) the exported VM to the receiving server, i don't get the chance to use the non-copy option. 

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:17 PM
  • once i have done other way migration(from windows 2008 to windows 2008 r2).it was successed.ill check and get backu 2 you
    Darshana Jayathilake
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:12 AM
  • you can do one thing delete all the snap shot and copy only the vhd from the server.with server 2008 create new virtual machine and attached a vhd.(before deleting vm pls make sure to export the vm a recovery purpose)
    Darshana Jayathilake
    • Marked as answer by JoeyAx Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:02 PM
  • That is what i've come to terms with.  I can attach the .vhd and go from there.  Not a great solution, but it works. 

Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:43 PM