none
Inter-Site replication and "Ignore schedules" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My AD environment is build of 2 sites and 2 DC each site.
    Recently we decided to change replication between sites, and I set Ignore schedules options and additionally site link attribute options which is containing both sites to USE_NOTIFY.
    But unfortunatelly the changes does not gain my expectations. Changes made on one site appears on the second not immediatelly as it is intrasite, but I need to wait :(
    Do I need to modify anything else?

regards
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:28 PM

Answers

• Deleted
    • Marked as answer by szczepanl Friday, February 26, 2010 2:07 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Szczepan,

My experience is has been that modifying the "options" attribute alone will ignore the inter-site replication schedule.  I have this working on a production network.  However, you dont see replication across all DCs in the domain within a few seconds.  I have timed this over and over again and have found that we went from the 15 min inter-rep frequency down to about 1-3 minutes accross the DCs in the various sites linked by the same SiteLink.

I wrote a simple blog that you can read as well.  Same general information you probably have in front of you.  I also listed the other possible values for the options attribute.

http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/modifying-behavior-of-inter-site.html

There are actually 8 possible values for this setting.  The most common is 0x1 USE_NOTIFY. 

0×1  USE_NOTIFY
    0×2  TWOWAY_SYNC
    0×3  USE_NOTIFY | TWOWAY_SYNC
    0×4  DISABLE_COMPRESSION
    0×5  USE_NOTIFY | DISABLE_COMPRESSION
    0×6  TWOWAY_SYNC | DISABLE_COMPRESSION
    0×7  USE_NOTIFY | TWOWAY_SYNC | DISABLE_COMPRESSION

Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Marked as answer by szczepanl Friday, February 26, 2010 2:08 PM
    • Edited by Jorge Mederos Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:27 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

inter-site replication between sites occurs as default every 180 minutes and can be lowererd with the GUI in AD sites and services down to 15 minutes.

To get a shorter value you have to modify with ADSIEdit.msc according to the following article from Florian:
    http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog/?p=145
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Hello

if you donot want to set replication manually which I think is what you intend to do, then you may want to look at allowing KCC to take of that for you.. I wrote about this in a blog a while back
    http://www.isaacoben.com/2009/03/23/how-to-configure-inter-or-intra-site-topology-generator-istg-in-active-directory/
    Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:46 PM
  • My AD environment is build of 2 sites and 2 DC each site.
    Recently we decided to change replication between sites, and I set Ignore schedules options and additionally site link attribute options which is containing both sites to USE_NOTIFY.
    But unfortunatelly the changes does not gain my expectations. Changes made on one site appears on the second not immediatelly as it is intrasite, but I need to wait :(
    Do I need to modify anything else?

Okay, I see you have found the correct object and attribute alright. So how many site links are there? Since it's two sites only, I'd assume you have both sites connected with the default site link, correct? The option attribute's value is still "1"? How fast is the line between the two sites and how long does it take for rep to work?

Cheers,
    Florian
    Microsoft MVP - Group Policy (http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:01 PM
  • It looks like this:

Site1 - DC1, DC2
    Site2 - DC3, DC4

SiteLink1 - contains Site1 & Site2

Made modifications

CN=IP,CN=Inter-Site Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=my,dc=domain
    attribute options set to 1 (this is the Ignore schedules, am I right?)

CN=SiteLink1,CN=IP,CN=Inter-Site Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=domain

attribute options set to 1 (USE_NOTIFY) - should be 0, 1 or anything else?

The line between sites is 1Gb/s.
    Replication occurs every 15 minutes.

regards
    Szczepan

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Szczepan,

My experience is has been that modifying the "options" attribute alone will ignore the inter-site replication schedule.  I have this working on a production network.  However, you dont see replication across all DCs in the domain within a few seconds.  I have timed this over and over again and have found that we went from the 15 min inter-rep frequency down to about 1-3 minutes accross the DCs in the various sites linked by the same SiteLink.

I wrote a simple blog that you can read as well.  Same general information you probably have in front of you.  I also listed the other possible values for the options attribute.

http://www.anitkb.com/2010/03/modifying-behavior-of-inter-site.html

There are actually 8 possible values for this setting.  The most common is 0x1 USE_NOTIFY. 

0×1  USE_NOTIFY
    0×2  TWOWAY_SYNC
    0×3  USE_NOTIFY | TWOWAY_SYNC
    0×4  DISABLE_COMPRESSION
    0×5  USE_NOTIFY | DISABLE_COMPRESSION
    0×6  TWOWAY_SYNC | DISABLE_COMPRESSION
    0×7  USE_NOTIFY | TWOWAY_SYNC | DISABLE_COMPRESSION

• Marked as answer by szczepanl Friday, February 26, 2010 2:08 PM
    • Edited by Jorge Mederos Wednesday, March 3, 2010 9:27 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Jorge,

I did changes accordingly to your blog :).

But, please explain me, do I need to do both steps, I mean:

CN=IP, CN=Inter-Site Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=my,dc=domain
    attribute options set to 1 (IGNORE_SCHEDULES )

CN=SiteLink1 ,CN=IP,CN=Inter-Site Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=my,DC=domain
    attribute options set to 1 (USE_NOTIFY)

Why, when I did it, the replication interval is still 15 minutes, as it was before?

regards
    Szczepan
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Deleted
    • Marked as answer by szczepanl Friday, February 26, 2010 2:07 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:38 AM
  • I have two locations 5 miles apart and we have black fiber running between them.  The connection is so fast we don't bother making them seperate sites, this way replication is all intersite and folks at either location will be authenticated by DC's at either physical location.  Have you considered this as opposed to doing these hacks?

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
    posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks all all for your replays, I think finally I understand it. :)

@pbbergs - Yes I have, but it's not possible to change this configuration right now

regards
    Szczepan
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:59 PM
  • sorry szczepanl, I wasnt able to respond sooner to your question regarding the explanation.  However, Rich, as usual provides excellent explanations.  My explanation would have been in sync with what he posted...Thanks Rich! 

In regards to ppbergs' posting, I dont really consider this as a hack, but I understand his intention.

There are instances where network connectivity is very good between physical sites, but the AD administrator would prefer to create the sites and seperate them logically.  For instance, in the case of site aware applications, such as Exchange, SCCM, etc..., you can leverage the site boundaries and other site attributes in your configuration to control various aspects of management.

The purpose of creating a site is not limited to the concept of poor connected physical subnets such as a WAN.  You have the ability to leverage the sites for other uses as well.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 9:02 PM
  • I am trying to solve my issue, and came across this thread.

I also wanted to change the inter-site replication interval to be shorter than the lowest 15-minute, instantaneous will be the best. So I set the option to 1, but that had made no difference, and I tested from both directions (sites).

Thanks and regards.

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Setting the "optinos" attribute on the site link to 0x1, USE_NOTIFY, will work.  When you set it, this must first be replicated.  Once Sync'd, you should see the replication occur well below the 15 minute minimum you are accustomed to for inter-site replication. 
    Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 11:54 AM
  • The interval's somewhat shorter, but the results are not consistent, anywhere from 5 to close to 15 minutes.

Thanks and regards.

Friday, June 4, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I think its going to depend on other conditions, such as server and network performance.  I have seen similar results where it could be up to a few minutes between the sites.  I can validate that inconsistency.  I don't think you will ever see it match intra-site replication response time.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 1:48 AM