none
conditional forwarder for subdomain?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a parent domain called parent.com.

I have a subdomain called subdomain.parent.com

Can I use conditional forwarder to forward queries to subdomain? Will this be a good design to use conditional forwarder?

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In regard to your issue of‘  conditional forwarder’,
    I want to confirm that
    Can you resolve the name query from subdomain.parent.com successfully? Because DNS delegations are automatically configured when creating sub domain, make the DNS server in sub domain authorized to resolve name query.

Conditional forwarder are used when configuring DNS name resolution between two Active Directory forests. There is no DNS root server that can be the server for both DNS domains, so delegation cannot be used.
    So if the name resolution doesn’t have any problem & you are not in a forest environment, conditional forwarder don’t have to be configured.

Please refer to the following link:
    Configure DNS to Enable a Trust Between Two Active Directory Forests

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope my answer will help you, thanks!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Gloria Gu Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:59 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 6:02 AM
  • I see. So the only way to resolve subdomain.parent.com machines is by their FQDN? like machine1.subdomain.parent.com? If add in DNS search suffix list subdomain.parent.com can it resolve machine1 without indicate the FQDN of the machine?
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:13 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, during the creation of parent domain& sub domain, both domain name will be added to the DNS search suffix list automatically. You can use "ipconfig /all" command to see the DNS search suffix list:

And you can use’ nslookup> set d2> hostname’ to see the whole process of name resolution. During the resolution, it will add the longest DNS suffix first( in your situation, it’s subdomain.parent.com) to try to resolve the name. If it fails, it will then try to add’ parent.com” to resolve.
    So you can just use the host name’ computer1’ to resolve the ip address without any problem.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2020 2:35 AM
  • Thanks! this helps a lot.

I forgot to mention another situation where in I have one domain (parent.com) and then I create a DNS subdomain under parent.com zone say I call it dnssub. There are computers inside the dnssub subdomain. How do computers on the parent.com do a lookup/query to computers on dnssub? Is it require to have a NameServer on dnssub subdomain? If it is required I would like to know if this NS is another DNS server.

Friday, June 26, 2020 11:29 AM
  • Hi,
    1. When receives a name query, the authoritative DNS server in parent zone would refer to it own local information that can answer the query. Since it cannot find , so it would process a iterative query to the DNS server in subdomain to resolve the name query. Then it will send back the answer to the parent zone's server> client in parent zone.

2. When creating a sub domain, a DNS server must be configured as the authoritative server for the name resolution in this domain. It's different from which in the parent domain.

Monday, June 29, 2020 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

How do I create a name server in the dnssubdomain? Do I have to create a child domain?

Friday, July 3, 2020 9:38 AM